serial ports and Linux (Slackware) - Setup

This is a discussion on serial ports and Linux (Slackware) - Setup ; Hello! (It was orginally posted to news:alt.os.linux.slackware but I thought I'd get a better response here as well.) Question: Can anyone supply a suggestion for allowing a terminal (terminal program running outside) to be connected to a serial port? Please ...

  1. serial ports and Linux (Slackware)

    Hello!
    (It was orginally posted to news:alt.os.linux.slackware but I thought
    I'd get a better response here as well.)
    Question: Can anyone supply a suggestion for allowing a terminal
    (terminal program running outside) to be connected to a serial port?

    Please note that the host here has already gone through the process of
    having Linux installed and almost properly configured.

    I am developing an application that will eventually be installed on an
    embedded system, and as it happens the embedded system will be based on
    Slackware.

    I will also be creating a unique hardware item that will need to be
    connected to the system and again it will be using the serial port.
    Parallel port attachment is a possibility but the original design
    called for a serial port access to the system.
    ---
    Gregg gregg.drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

    "This signature is on vacation."

  2. Re: serial ports and Linux (Slackware)

    On 15 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    <1160959806.052610.153870@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>, gregg dot drwho8
    atsign gmail dot com wrote:

    >Question: Can anyone supply a suggestion for allowing a terminal
    >(terminal program running outside) to be connected to a serial port?

    >I am developing an application that will eventually be installed on an
    >embedded system, and as it happens the embedded system will be based on
    >Slackware.

    Are you asking if you can run a serial console off the serial port on
    the embedded system? If so, yes. See

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 287028 Mar 31 2003 Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

    >I will also be creating a unique hardware item that will need to be
    >connected to the system and again it will be using the serial port.
    >Parallel port attachment is a possibility but the original design
    >called for a serial port access to the system.

    Both the serial and parallel ports can be used _in_place_of_ a network
    card - see

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 46049 Apr 26 2001 PLIP
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 183087 Jul 19 2000 PPP-HOWTO

    but I think you are talking about connecting a "dumb terminal" to the
    embedded system for remote display/control. The Remote-Serial-Console
    HOWTO is for that. You may also want to check the comp.os.linux.embedded
    newsgroup.

    >---

    Fix yer .sig delimiter - should be "dash dash space newline"

    >"This signature is on vacation."

    What's a vacation?

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread