Problem in Booting linux - Setup

This is a discussion on Problem in Booting linux - Setup ; I have installed Red hat Linux in my system. i have installed the linux without swap partition. I made only two partiotions that is /, /boot. coz i am not able to make swap partions in my system. I am ...

  1. Problem in Booting linux

    I have installed Red hat Linux in my system. i have installed the linux
    without swap partition. I made only two partiotions that is /, /boot.
    coz i am not able to make swap partions in my system. I am using Amd
    processor and 80 GB.
    In the 80 GB i made 70 GB for WinXP and 10 GB for Linux. I am new to
    Linux. I have installed linux in the morning making two Partions / and
    /boot. But it booting till some condition " finding module" and it is
    stopped and there after it is not at all booting to GUI.
    Any one can help me.
    U can mail me to kirankumar.277@gmail.com

    ANd i also i need a help where could i get Linux commands to learn.

  2. Re: Problem in Booting linux

    kirankumar.277@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have installed Red hat Linux in my system. i have installed the linux
    > without swap partition. I made only two partiotions that is /, /boot.
    > coz i am not able to make swap partions in my system. I am using Amd
    > processor and 80 GB.
    > In the 80 GB i made 70 GB for WinXP and 10 GB for Linux. I am new to
    > Linux. I have installed linux in the morning making two Partions / and
    > /boot. But it booting till some condition " finding module" and it is
    > stopped and there after it is not at all booting to GUI.
    > Any one can help me.
    > U can mail me to kirankumar.277@gmail.com
    >
    > ANd i also i need a help where could i get Linux commands to learn.

    Why can't you make a swap partition? Unless your RAM is very generous,
    at least 128 Meg of RAM or more, you're going to have a very difficult
    time running large programs such as FireFox or OpenOffice without a
    swap partition.

    Unless your RedHat Linux or your hardware is quite old, the "/boot"
    partitin is probably unnecessary. But swap, I'd set to be at least a
    Gigabyte.

  3. Re: Problem in Booting linux

    kirankumar.277@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have installed Red hat Linux in my system. i have installed the linux
    > without swap partition. I made only two partiotions that is /, /boot.
    > coz i am not able to make swap partions in my system. I am using Amd
    > processor and 80 GB.
    > In the 80 GB i made 70 GB for WinXP and 10 GB for Linux. I am new to
    > Linux. I have installed linux in the morning making two Partions / and
    > /boot. But it booting till some condition " finding module" and it is
    > stopped and there after it is not at all booting to GUI.
    > Any one can help me.
    > U can mail me to kirankumar.277@gmail.com
    >
    > ANd i also i need a help where could i get Linux commands to learn.

    go to http://linuxbasics.org/course/start

    they are offering a free online linux basic course starting in a week or so.

    Mike WN5PMR

+ Reply to Thread