Not able to make partitions of linux - Setup

This is a discussion on Not able to make partitions of linux - Setup ; i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i want to install Red hat linux 9.0. I can boot the red hat linux for ...

  1. Not able to make partitions of linux

    i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i
    have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i want to install Red hat linux 9.0.

    I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the
    step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /,
    and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the
    third patition it will say it cannot allocate partitions.

    So any one can help regarding this..
    One more thing that i made four partions for the WIndows in that one
    NTFS and other three are FAT32....

  2. Re: Not able to make partitions of linux

    kirankumar.277@gmail.com wrote:

    > i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i
    > have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i want to install Red hat linux 9.0.
    >
    > I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the
    > step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /,
    > and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the
    > third patition it will say it cannot allocate partitions.
    >

    > So any one can help regarding this..
    > One more thing that i made four partions for the WIndows in that one
    > NTFS and other three are FAT32....

    Ah-hah! This is part of your issue!

    You need to use virtual partitions, because you've probably used up at
    least 2 of the available 4 "primary" partitions: if you then try to add
    /boot, /, and swap as primary partitions, you lack slots to put them in.

  3. Re: Not able to make partitions of linux

    On 2006-10-15, kirankumar.277@gmail.com wrote:

    > i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i
    > have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i want to install Red hat linux 9.0.
    >
    > I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the
    > step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /,
    > and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the
    > third patition it will say it cannot allocate partitions.
    >

    > So any one can help regarding this..
    > One more thing that i made four partions for the WIndows in that one
    > NTFS and other three are FAT32....

    PC hardware is only able to recognize 4 primary partitions on a hard
    disk device. This is an operating-system independent limitation. You
    need to define your free space as an extended partition and create your
    logical linux partitions in there. Linux has no problems booting from a
    logical partition contained in an extended partition.

    Or you could install another hard drive and get 4 more primary
    partitions to work with.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread