sha1sum - Setup

This is a discussion on sha1sum - Setup ; hi all, I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/ , and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for each time I run the sum. I downloaded the ...

  1. sha1sum

    hi all,

    I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for
    each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does anyone
    what am I doing wrong?

    thanks
    ivan

  2. Re: sha1sum

    Ivan wrote:
    > hi all,
    > I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    > ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    > and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for
    > each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    > ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does anyone
    > what am I doing wrong?

    Not possible. Sounds like a defective hard drive. Move the isos to a new
    directory and download again. That should take you away from the defective
    segment of the hard drive.

    If that does not work, it is time to ask the Kahuna. Digital means what you
    describe does not happen. Stranger things happen in digital but not this. Worst
    case, try another distribution or pay the $40 or whatever it is these days.

    --
    The official explanation for 911 fails to explain the war on Iraq so there
    has to be more to it than the official story.

  3. Re: sha1sum

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:36:56 GMT, Ivan wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    > ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    > and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for
    > each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    > ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does anyone
    > what am I doing wrong?

    Kinda hard to do anyting wrong. The program just reads the bytes from
    a file and caculates the sha1sum on the data. If you are getting
    a different sum on different runs then that indicates a hardware
    problem of some type. That assumes the iso file is not changing.

    If the iso file is changing I will guess some virus/malware is helping
    you into the ditch.

    You should get a constant sum value when you use a sha1sum program to
    check a file.

  4. Re: sha1sum

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:36:56 +0000, Ivan wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    > ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    > and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for
    > each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    > ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does
    > anyone what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > thanks
    > ivan

    Ivan, I don't know what's going on, but have you tested sha1sum against
    other, smaller, files to see if you get the same sum each run?

    Also, if you run cksum or md5sum against one of the iso files, do you
    always get the same result?

    Aren't computers fun? :-(

    Andy

  5. Re: sha1sum

    Ivan wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    > ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    > and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result for
    > each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    > ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does anyone
    > what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > thanks
    > ivan

    Any chance that the file had not completed downloading before you ran
    the check?

    Jeff

  6. Re: sha1sum

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 04:36:29 +0000, Andy Axnot wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:36:56 +0000, Ivan wrote:
    >
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> I just downloaded fedora core 5 .iso (not dvd) files from the site
    >> ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen...e/5/i386//iso/,
    >> and run sha1sum as a required check. however I get a different result
    >> for each time I run the sum. I downloaded the sha1sum program from
    >> ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe running on win xp. does
    >> anyone what am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> ivan

    > Ivan, I don't know what's going on, but have you tested sha1sum against
    > other, smaller, files to see if you get the same sum each run?
    >
    > Also, if you run cksum or md5sum against one of the iso files, do you
    > always get the same result?

    Rats! I forgot you're using Windows. Well, md5sum is available for
    Windows, and probably something like cksum, which does a CRC sum. The
    idea is to try something other than sha1sum.exe to see if you have the
    same behavior.

    > Aren't computers fun? :-(
    >
    > Andy

+ Reply to Thread