retrieve linux located in my pc but not reachable - Setup

This is a discussion on retrieve linux located in my pc but not reachable - Setup ; hi i wish to get help from any one i have on my hdd two version of linux-redhat releases after a period i have format the remainig portion of hdd to ntfs & instal winxp then i lose the option ...

  1. retrieve linux located in my pc but not reachable

    hi i wish to get help from any one
    i have on my hdd two version of linux-redhat releases after a period i
    have format the remainig portion of hdd to ntfs & instal winxp then i
    lose the option to boot linux it is still in my PC but i donot know how
    i can retriev it if any body know i wish explain it precisely .

    then i want to ask if the format of the hdd that has a linux
    poartition on it differs from windows
    or it is possible to use patition magic or fdisk to format the hdd even
    the opearting systems are different

    then i wish to konw how i can get any software that is nedded to
    accomplish this task iof it reachable freely from the internet

    thanks alot
    relpy as sson

  2. Re: retrieve linux located in my pc but not reachable

    On 2006-10-12, danger wrote:
    > i have on my hdd two version of linux-redhat releases after a period i
    > have format the remainig portion of hdd to ntfs & instal winxp then i
    > lose the option to boot linux it is still in my PC but i donot know how
    > i can retriev it if any body know i wish explain it precisely .

    XP probably overwrote your bootloader (probably GRUB). You need to
    reinstall it. Google should be able to help you find out how to do this
    (and how to configure GRUB to dual-boot XP).

    > then i want to ask if the format of the hdd that has a linux
    > poartition on it differs from windows

    Not sure what you're asking here. The partition map format is the same
    one way or the other, but the filesystems are definitely different.

    > or it is possible to use patition magic or fdisk to format the hdd even
    > the opearting systems are different

    You use Partition Magic or fdisk to *partition* the hard disk. To lay
    down a new filesystem (which is what I think you mean by "format") you
    usually use the OS tools to do so (in XP, it may still be called Format;
    in linux it's usually something like mke2fs, mkreiserfs, and others).

    You can use PM or fdisk to partition your disk no matter what OSs are
    using which partitions. If you delete any partitions, though, the data
    will likely become inaccessible. PM can resize partitions
    nondestructively; I don't know if it can resize ext2/3 or reiserfs or
    xfs.

    > then i wish to konw how i can get any software that is nedded to
    > accomplish this task iof it reachable freely from the internet

    IIRC Partition Magic is proprietary, so any copy you find would be
    pirated. XP probably has a partition tool already; almost every Linux
    distro comes with fdisk, cfdisk, or GNU parted, or some GUI frontend to
    these tools.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: retrieve linux located in my pc but not reachable

    boot into the rescue mode (you can achieve this by typing linux rescue
    at the prompt that appears when you boot from the redhat install cd)

    Skip any "Configure network interfaces" dialog that appears.

    now type the following commands:

    chroot /mnt/sysimage

    grub-install /dev/hda (replace /dev/hda with your name of the hdd)

+ Reply to Thread