Which distro/apps for old hw for use as sound station? - Setup

This is a discussion on Which distro/apps for old hw for use as sound station? - Setup ; I have a wonderful old boat anchor of a computer (180 MHz P1MMX, 128MB RAM) which has been absolutely unbreakable. It's also extremely quiet, so I'm considering using it as an audio station with my stereo gear. I've already set ...

  1. Which distro/apps for old hw for use as sound station?

    I have a wonderful old boat anchor of a computer (180 MHz P1MMX, 128MB RAM)
    which has been absolutely unbreakable. It's also extremely quiet, so I'm
    considering using it as an audio station with my stereo gear. I've already
    set it in the equipment stack and learned that it does not generate audible
    electronic noise.

    What release of Linux and which sound apps might work best with this
    machine? I have a pair of 6GB IDE laptop disks in it (one reason that it's
    quiet), and the Turtle Beach sound card has always run well under Windows.

    Basically, I just want to use it as an Internet radio receiver and audio
    recorder, and have it burn the occasional CD. No DVD or video stuff,
    obviously!. I'd probably control it remotely from a laptop via VNC or
    something similar.

    Jim McCauley

  2. Re: Which distro/apps for old hw for use as sound station?

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:36:57 -0600, "Jim McCauley" wrote:

    >I have a wonderful old boat anchor of a computer (180 MHz P1MMX, 128MB RAM)
    >which has been absolutely unbreakable. It's also extremely quiet, so I'm
    >considering using it as an audio station with my stereo gear. I've already
    >set it in the equipment stack and learned that it does not generate audible
    >electronic noise.

    Win98 I have a p100 laptop that only just plays mp3s under linux
    (slackware) with a lightweight desktop, does much better under win98.

    No record nor cd burner.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/