Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Can't boot linux session - Setup

This is a discussion on Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Can't boot linux session - Setup ; Hello, i've got a little problem, i've install Ubuntu 6.06 yesterday with another win2k on the side. i splited the hdd with gparted like: 1 - ntfs (win2k) +- 10gb 2 - ext3 +- 10gb 3 - swap +- 700 ...

  1. Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Can't boot linux session

    Hello,

    i've got a little problem, i've install Ubuntu 6.06 yesterday
    with another win2k on the side.
    i splited the hdd with gparted like:

    1 - ntfs (win2k) +- 10gb
    2 - ext3 +- 10gb
    3 - swap +- 700 mb
    4 - fat32 (win2k - data) +- 130bg

    (it's a 160GB sata hdd)

    the install was ok, no problems, but when i've restarted the computer
    at the dual-boot, when i choose linux, i've got a:
    "Grub Error 22, No Such Partition"

    i can boot Win2k without problems, but i can't boot on linux?

    ideas?

    Thx

    --
    Raf.

  2. Re: Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Can't boot linux session

    ToYKillAS wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > i've got a little problem, i've install Ubuntu 6.06 yesterday
    > with another win2k on the side.
    > i splited the hdd with gparted like:
    >
    > 1 - ntfs (win2k) +- 10gb
    > 2 - ext3 +- 10gb
    > 3 - swap +- 700 mb
    > 4 - fat32 (win2k - data) +- 130bg
    >
    > (it's a 160GB sata hdd)
    >
    > the install was ok, no problems, but when i've restarted the computer
    > at the dual-boot, when i choose linux, i've got a:
    > "Grub Error 22, No Such Partition"
    >
    > i can boot Win2k without problems, but i can't boot on linux?
    >
    > ideas?
    >

    > Thx
    >

    > --
    > Raf.

    It seems that the XP installation has munged the partitions.

    Get a live CD (Knoppix, System Rescue CD, or equivalent), boot it
    and see what the partition tool on disk shows. Most live CD's
    have at least fdisk. The System Rescue CD even has a graphic
    partition editor on board.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Can't boot linux session

    ToYKillAS wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > i've got a little problem, i've install Ubuntu 6.06 yesterday
    > with another win2k on the side.
    > i splited the hdd with gparted like:
    >
    > 1 - ntfs (win2k) +- 10gb
    > 2 - ext3 +- 10gb
    > 3 - swap +- 700 mb
    > 4 - fat32 (win2k - data) +- 130bg
    >
    > (it's a 160GB sata hdd)
    >
    > the install was ok, no problems, but when i've restarted the computer
    > at the dual-boot, when i choose linux, i've got a:
    > "Grub Error 22, No Such Partition"
    >
    > i can boot Win2k without problems, but i can't boot on linux?
    >
    > ideas?
    >

    > Thx
    >

    > --
    > Raf.

    --------------------------Reply to above post:

    In order to fix the problem, you need to make sure of a couple of
    things:

    1. Is your harddrive an IDE or SCSI drive, in other words, is it hdX or
    sdX?
    2. Ensure GRUB knows where to look for the linux bootable kernel....
    3. You need to know the naming conventions for GRUB. Instead of the
    usual hda1 for the first partition on your drive, GRUB sees this as
    hd0,0 where hd0 is hda, and hd1 would be hdb. (These are zeroes, not
    ohs). GRUB needs to know where your root ( / ) partition is, so you
    have to tell it "root (hd0,0)" for a root filesys on /dev/hda1.
    Assuming you have an IDE drive (/dev/hda under linux) at the GRUB boot
    prompt press 'e' to edit the entry for your linux partition. Ensure
    the root line is : root (hd0,1)
    This tells GRUB to look at /dev/hda2, your ext3 file system. (if you
    have a scsi drive, change hd to sd in the root command above.

    Ensure the kernel line is correct and points to your kernel. You can
    also pass any boot parameters at this time to the kernel as well. One
    important note on this is the root= parameter on this line. Your
    kernel line should resemble the one below:

    kernel /boot/ root=/dev/hda2 [any parameters you wish to
    pass]

    once again, if you are using a scsi drive, change the hd to sd above.

    Once you are sure that the parameters are correct, press 'b' to boot
    your linux kernel.

    If you receive any kernel panic errors, recompile the kernel. You will
    most likely need a LiveCD to do this.

    Once you are booted into your linux environment, you should review
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and make the corrections for your linux kernel boot
    instruction.

    I use GRUB 0.97 on a Compaq Presario 2188CL laptop with a linux system
    I built using LFS and BLFS from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

    If you really want to learn how a distribution is built, and know your
    system from the inside to the STDOUT, read the LFS book. Then follow
    the book (at least the section on GRUB if you want to continue using
    UBUNTU).

+ Reply to Thread