I don't get /etc/motd - Setup

This is a discussion on I don't get /etc/motd - Setup ; Hallo, Last weekend I upgraded my system to SlackWare 11.0. Even though I have a line MOTD_FILE /etc/motd in /etc/login.defs, and that file exists and is world readable, I don't get the motd after login. Has anybody an idea why? ...

  1. I don't get /etc/motd

    Hallo,

    Last weekend I upgraded my system to SlackWare 11.0.
    Even though I have a line
    MOTD_FILE /etc/motd
    in /etc/login.defs, and that file exists and is world readable,
    I don't get the motd after login.
    Has anybody an idea why?

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt xs4all punt nl

  2. Re: I don't get /etc/motd

    On 2006-10-10, Johannes Beekhuizen wrote;

    > Last weekend I upgraded my system to SlackWare 11.0.
    > Even though I have a line
    > MOTD_FILE /etc/motd
    > in /etc/login.defs, and that file exists and is world readable,
    > I don't get the motd after login.

    If I remember right, Slackware by default has something in it's
    boot scripts that whacks the motd at each startup. Grep thru
    the system start files for "motd", eg,

    grep -i 'motd' /etc/rc.d/rc.*

    If not that, then you might have a problem with your shadow suite
    of programs, as they handle this. 4.0.18.1 I'm using with no
    troubles. Make sure also that your login.defs files and friends
    are error-free.

  3. Re: I don't get /etc/motd

    Hallo jayjwa,

    Op 15 Oct 06 schreef jayjwa aan All:

    >> Last weekend I upgraded my system to SlackWare 11.0. Even
    >> though I have a line MOTD_FILE /etc/motd in /etc/login.defs,
    >> and that file exists and is world readable, I don't get the
    >> motd after login.

    ja> If I remember right, Slackware by default has something in
    ja> it's boot scripts that whacks the motd at each startup. Grep
    ja> thru the system start files for "motd", eg,
    ja> grep -i 'motd' /etc/rc.d/rc.*

    There are only some lines to create a motd file [using "uname -sr"]
    if there is none.

    ja> If not that, then you might have a problem with your shadow
    ja> suite of programs, as they handle this. 4.0.18.1 I'm using with
    ja> no troubles.

    SlackWare 11.0 comes with 4.0.3, that's the same as SlackWare 10.2
    came with. I'm certain it used to work in 10.2, otherwise I might
    even not have missed it Maybe it was built in a different way,
    I'll have to look into that.

    ja> Make sure also that your login.defs files and friends are
    ja> error-free.

    Lazy as I am, I just checked for differences and copied the old one.
    So I'm fairly certain there are no errors in there.

    Thanks for your help, you gave me something to look into.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt xs4all punt nl

  4. Re: I don't get /etc/motd

    Hello jayjwa,

    On 15 Oct 06, Johannes Beekhuizen wrote to jayjwa:

    ja>> If not that, then you might have a problem with your shadow
    ja>> suite of programs, as they handle this. 4.0.18.1 I'm using
    ja>> with no troubles.

    JB> SlackWare 11.0 comes with 4.0.3, that's the same as SlackWare
    JB> 10.2 came with. I'm certain it used to work in 10.2, otherwise I
    JB> might even not have missed it Maybe it was built in a
    JB> different way, I'll have to look into that.

    OK. I removed the package from 11.0 and installed the one from 10.2
    instead. Now I have my motd back
    I'm curious why of course, but that has to wait untill tomorrow.

    Regards,

    Hans.

    jdh dot beekhuizen at duinheks dot xs4all dot nl

+ Reply to Thread