Dual OS boot up - Setup

This is a discussion on Dual OS boot up - Setup ; Hi Guys, What I want to do is dual boot with my existing Win XP with Linux either Ubuntu or Mepis, can't decide which yet. As I see it (New Linux User), I can partition the existing drive and put ...

  1. Dual OS boot up

    Hi Guys,
    What I want to do is dual boot with my existing Win XP with Linux either
    Ubuntu or Mepis, can't decide which yet. As I see it (New Linux User), I can
    partition the existing drive and put Linux on the partition
    - or -
    I have another two spare SATA drives connected so can I put Linux on one of
    them, now about booting the OS, will the Computer after the POST I give me
    the option of which OS to boot from or do I need to install a dual boot
    program. Lastly, can I tell it to auto boot the Linux OS after say 10 or
    so seconds if I do not make a choice.
    Once I get the hang of Linux I will probaly delete windows
    Your help and advice is greatly appreciated

    Thanks and Regards
    Bob

  2. Re: Dual OS boot up

    BH2 wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    > What I want to do is dual boot with my existing Win XP with Linux either
    > Ubuntu or Mepis, can't decide which yet. As I see it (New Linux User), I
    > can partition the existing drive and put Linux on the partition
    > - or -
    > I have another two spare SATA drives connected so can I put Linux on one
    > of
    > them, now about booting the OS, will the Computer after the POST I give
    > me the option of which OS to boot from or do I need to install a dual boot
    > program. Lastly, can I tell it to auto boot the Linux OS after say 10 or
    > so seconds if I do not make a choice.
    > Once I get the hang of Linux I will probaly delete windows
    > Your help and advice is greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Bob

    Linux will work fine from a partition (logical or primary) of your
    existing drive, or alone on an another drive.

    It includes a bootloader that will politely offer you a choice
    of which o/s to start up ... and will boot the default (you choose)
    after a timeout (that you also choose). Is this not NIFTY??

    Have fun!
    Roby

  3. Re: Dual OS boot up

    I would rather advice you to use Fedora Core 4 which allows you to
    configure the booting choice during installation itself. Also it offers
    to boot into the default os you choose.

  4. Re: Dual OS boot up

    Thanks Guys
    regards
    Bob

  5. Re: Dual OS boot up

    On Monday 09 October 2006 01:44 am, marijuanated@gmail.com
    (marijuanated@gmail.com) spake thusly:

    > I would rather advice you to use Fedora Core 4 which allows you to
    > configure the booting choice during installation itself. Also it
    > offers to boot into the default os you choose.

    FC 5 Doesn't?

    --
    Scott
    http://angrykeyboarder.com