Re: Need /dev/fb0 if no X windows? - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Need /dev/fb0 if no X windows? - Setup ; Jamie Hart wrote: >> I'm configuring a server with no X windows. >> Do I need /dev/fb0, which I take is the frame buffer device? (Thought I >> might get rid of it because it's the only thing the installer ...

  1. Re: Need /dev/fb0 if no X windows?

    Jamie Hart wrote:

    >> I'm configuring a server with no X windows.

    >> Do I need /dev/fb0, which I take is the frame buffer device? (Thought I
    >> might get rid of it because it's the only thing the installer set up as
    >> owned by group "video".)

    You don't need a group "video" to have framebuffer. Alot of distros
    add alot of unneeded groups. I have no "video", "cdrom", nor "audio"
    and things work fine for users and root alike.

    > I'm fairly sure it's still needed, the framebuffer is used to display
    > unicode characters in the console as well as displaying graphics.

    If you don't have X, you definately want the framebuffer (and even if
    you do have X, IMO). There are alot of things that can give you nice
    graphics on it:

    fbv A nice little image viewer for the fb
    links One of its modes can use the fb for graphics; a browser
    w3m Another browser, can use the fb for graphics
    gtk There IS a fb target for gtk, but I've never built it.
    I'm not sure it works 100%, or even at all, but it is
    listed.
    fonts Normal text just looks better, and you can have a very
    readable display even when using small fonts.
    fbxine Xine. On the fb. Watch a movie in full-screen. Does need
    X, as it links to X shared libs, but doesn't need X
    actually running at the time of viewing.

    intelfb: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
    Chipset Integrated Graphics Device

    mode "1024x768-70"
    # D: 75.002 MHz, H: 56.477 kHz, V: 70.071 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
    timings 13333 144 24 29 3 136 6
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
    endmode

    Frame buffer device information:
    Name : Intel(R) 845G
    Address : 0xf0000000
    Size : 8253440
    Type : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual : TRUECOLOR
    XPanStep : 8
    YPanStep : 1
    YWrapStep : 0
    LineLength : 4096
    MMIO Address: 0xffa80000
    MMIO Size : 524288
    Accelerator : Unknown (42)

    That being said, you don't absolutely have to have the fb if you don't
    have X, you'd just most likely want it.

  2. Re: Need /dev/fb0 if no X windows?

    wrote in message
    > Jamie Hart wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm configuring a server with no X windows.

    >>> Do I need /dev/fb0, which I take is the frame buffer device? (Thought
    >>> might get rid of it because it's the only thing the installer set up as
    >>> owned by group "video".)

    Thanks for the very informative reply!

    > You don't need a group "video" to have framebuffer. Alot of distros
    > add alot of unneeded groups. I have no "video", "cdrom", nor "audio"
    > and things work fine for users and root alike.

    Yeah, that's the root of my post---all these groups are added that don't
    seem to be good for much. Particularly not on a stripped-down server.

    >> I'm fairly sure it's still needed, the framebuffer is used to display
    >> unicode characters in the console as well as displaying graphics.

    > If you don't have X, you definately want the framebuffer (and even if
    > you do have X, IMO). There are alot of things that can give you nice
    > graphics on it:
    >
    > fbv A nice little image viewer for the fb
    > links One of its modes can use the fb for graphics; a browser
    > w3m Another browser, can use the fb for graphics

    I've actually used w3m, to test apache via localhost on the server. Though
    no graphics, if by graphics you mean jpeg, etc.

    Cheers.

    > gtk There IS a fb target for gtk, but I've never built it.
    > I'm not sure it works 100%, or even at all, but it is
    > listed.
    > fonts Normal text just looks better, and you can have a very
    > readable display even when using small fonts.
    > fbxine Xine. On the fb. Watch a movie in full-screen. Does need
    > X, as it links to X shared libs, but doesn't need X
    > actually running at the time of viewing.
    >

    > intelfb: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
    > Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
    >
    > mode "1024x768-70"
    > # D: 75.002 MHz, H: 56.477 kHz, V: 70.071 Hz
    > geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
    > timings 13333 144 24 29 3 136 6
    > accel true
    > rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
    > endmode
    >
    > Frame buffer device information:
    > Name : Intel(R) 845G
    > Address : 0xf0000000
    > Size : 8253440
    > Type : PACKED PIXELS
    > Visual : TRUECOLOR
    > XPanStep : 8
    > YPanStep : 1
    > YWrapStep : 0
    > LineLength : 4096
    > MMIO Address: 0xffa80000
    > MMIO Size : 524288
    > Accelerator : Unknown (42)
    >

    > That being said, you don't absolutely have to have the fb if you don't
    > have X, you'd just most likely want it.

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread