FC5 upgrade - Setup

This is a discussion on FC5 upgrade - Setup ; Now I'm wishing the person who said "do a fresh install on a new drive, then copy over" had hit me over the head with a 2x4... I did a fresh install on a small hd, took 45 minutes, just ...

  1. FC5 upgrade

    Now I'm wishing the person who said "do a fresh install on a new drive,
    then copy over" had hit me over the head with a 2x4...

    I did a fresh install on a small hd, took 45 minutes, just a few
    minutes on the 2nd cd and all was over.

    So I did an upgrade on my FC2 system. Took all 5 disks, and over 5
    hours.

    Now when done, when I try to boot X windows fails to load, giving me
    "no core pointer" errors. When I try to use the resulting dialogs to
    setup my mouse, it fails each time.

    My mouse _is_ recognized by FC5, because if I move the mouse in text
    mode, there is the text mode mouse pointer.

    It is a usb-mouse, and I've tried the usb mice in the settings. dmesg
    shows me when I unplug/plug it in. I've tried moving it to the PS2
    mouse port (this would severely limit my mouse's reach), and
    reconfigured it as PS2, still no dice -- uh, mice, that is.

    I've read other messages about editing the config, but I can't find the
    config file. Read where gdm actually replaced X-windows (is that
    true?), and I'm not sure a config file actually exists since this is
    the first run, nor would I know what to place in it.

    If this were the worst of my problems - about half the time when
    booting I've been getting "Kernal Panic" - I'm hoping this was just
    because of typos when I was hand-editing my grub boot menu for the
    boot, since I didn't update this - I use a boot floppy.

    I've since simply put in links from the old to the new, I'm not a grub
    fan... I'll have to see if I get another.

    Please help me! I'm having to use WinMe just to post this, and Google
    Groups as well! I miss Linux and Pan!

    Ben

  2. Re: FC5 upgrade

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 7 Oct 2006 18:43:52 -0700, anoneds@netscape.net
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > I've read other messages about editing the config, but I can't find the
    > > config file. Read where gdm actually replaced X-windows (is that
    > > true?), and I'm not sure a config file actually exists since this is
    > > the first run, nor would I know what to place in it.
    > >

    > Maybe you are looking for XF86Config when you should be looking for
    > xorg.conf.

    I did a "man gdm" and looked for the configs in the places they
    specified, found none. I remember looking for xorg.conf. I only saw
    older XF* or X11* configs...

    I believe gdm wants to start at least once correctly before writing the
    config.

    Ben

  3. Re: FC5 upgrade

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 06:26:35 -0700, anoneds@netscape.net wrote:

    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> On 7 Oct 2006 18:43:52 -0700, anoneds@netscape.net
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I've read other messages about editing the config, but I can't find the
    >> > config file. Read where gdm actually replaced X-windows (is that
    >> > true?), and I'm not sure a config file actually exists since this is
    >> > the first run, nor would I know what to place in it.
    >> >

    >> Maybe you are looking for XF86Config when you should be looking for
    >> xorg.conf.
    >>

    > I did a "man gdm" and looked for the configs in the places they
    > specified, found none. I remember looking for xorg.conf. I only saw
    > older XF* or X11* configs...
    >
    > I believe gdm wants to start at least once correctly before writing the
    > config.

    Gee, everyone, thanks for the overwhelming help!
    I managed to convince FC5 to start gdm.
    And thanks to the person who sent the private reply about why it took so
    long for me to upgrade from FC2 to FC5 - that was helpful as well...

+ Reply to Thread