Re: Beating the dependency hell - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Beating the dependency hell - Setup ; John Hasler wrote: > marijuanated wrote: >> i am connected to the internet through dial up. I have a windows box >> which has a broadband connection. > > Why does your Linux box not also have broadband, even if ...

  1. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    John Hasler wrote:
    > marijuanated wrote:
    >> i am connected to the internet through dial up. I have a windows box
    >> which has a broadband connection.

    > Why does your Linux box not also have broadband, even if only via the
    > Microsoft box?
    >
    > The Natural Philosopher writes:
    >> download the packages onto the windows box and either burn a CD...

    > It would make more sense to download an ISO and then install the desired
    > packages with apt.
    >
    >> ...or transfer them to the Linux over the network.

    > If he can do that he can just install off the Net with apt.

    Not necessarily. That would imply routing through the Windoze box from
    the Linux. Nit always easy or desirable.

    >> I forget the installation command, but its all in the man pages. dpkg
    >> comes to mind.

    > 'dpkg -i filename', but he would have to figure out all the dependencies.
    > One way to do this would be to run
    > 'apt-get --dry-run install ' on the Linux box and then
    > download and install all the packages apt proposes to install.

  2. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    The Natural Philosopher writes:

    >John Hasler wrote:
    >> marijuanated wrote:
    >>> i am connected to the internet through dial up. I have a windows box
    >>> which has a broadband connection.

    >> Why does your Linux box not also have broadband, even if only via the
    >> Microsoft box?
    >>
    >> The Natural Philosopher writes:
    >>> download the packages onto the windows box and either burn a CD...

    >> It would make more sense to download an ISO and then install the desired
    >> packages with apt.
    >>
    >>> ...or transfer them to the Linux over the network.

    >> If he can do that he can just install off the Net with apt.

    >Not necessarily. That would imply routing through the Windoze box from
    >the Linux. Nit always easy or desirable.

    so why dows he not transfer the broadband to Linux and router the windows
    through the linux machine. That is easy and desirable.

    >>> I forget the installation command, but its all in the man pages. dpkg
    >>> comes to mind.

    >> 'dpkg -i filename', but he would have to figure out all the dependencies.
    >> One way to do this would be to run
    >> 'apt-get --dry-run install ' on the Linux box and then
    >> download and install all the packages apt proposes to install.

  3. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    Unruh wrote:
    > The Natural Philosopher writes:
    >
    >> John Hasler wrote:
    >>> Why does your Linux box not also have broadband, even if only via the
    >>> Microsoft box?

    >>> It would make more sense to download an ISO and then install the desired
    >>> packages with apt.

    >>> If he can do that he can just install off the Net with apt.

    >> Not necessarily. That would imply routing through the Windoze box from
    >> the Linux. Nit always easy or desirable.

    > so why dows he not transfer the broadband to Linux and router the windows
    > through the linux machine. That is easy and desirable.

    Posssibly because he is relatively innocent, and can't get his linux up
    to a stage where it will accept a DSL driver...and doesn't want to
    disturb a working PC setup (they are so rare, they should be encased in
    glass and put in a museum anyway)

    Its not so easy to bootstrap yourself up from nothing...

  4. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    I think i have mis-stated my problem. The problem is that I have a
    highly unreliable dial up connection as a result of which i cannot use
    apt-get. For example , if i had to download xine then apt-get can
    resolve dependencies such as libdvdcss,sox,lame etc. However i cant do
    this in my windows machine at my workplace. So I would rather want an
    interface that will list all the needed packages needed by xine in one
    page so that i can download them all with a batch downloader in windows
    and copy it to my ubuntu machine so that i can direct the apt-get to
    the appropriate directory.

  5. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    marijuanated writes:
    > I think i have mis-stated my problem. The problem is that I have a highly
    > unreliable dial up connection as a result of which i cannot use apt-get.

    Is your connection so bad that apt-get never completes a single package?
    If not you can just keep trying.

    > For example , if i had to download xine then apt-get can
    > resolve dependencies such as libdvdcss,sox,lame etc.

    Run 'apt-get --dry-run install xine'. This will list all the stuff apt-get
    would have gotten had you not given it the --dry-run option. These are
    what you will need to get.

    > So I would rather want an interface that will list all the needed
    > packages needed by xine in one page so that i can download them all with
    > a batch downloader in windows and copy it to my ubuntu machine so that i
    > can direct the apt-get to the appropriate directory.

    Can't you burn CDs at work?
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  6. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    On 5 Oct 2006 03:36:23 -0700, marijuanated@gmail.com
    wrote:

    > highly unreliable dial up connection as a result of which i cannot
    > use apt-get.

    If the line fails while apt-get is working, apt-get will pick up where
    it left off the next time the line is connected. It'll take a while,
    but it'll work.

    Three good links from Google:

    Torrent the DVD images and burn them to disk:
    http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en

    Buy the DVDs from a store in Canada:
    http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.ph...oducts_id=1113

    Simple instructions, including a link to an Indonesian site from which
    you can get the images:
    http://blog.mypapit.net/2006/08/get-...es-on-dvd.html

  7. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    marijuanated@gmail.com wrote:
    > I think i have mis-stated my problem. The problem is that I have a
    > highly unreliable dial up connection as a result of which i cannot use
    > apt-get. For example , if i had to download xine then apt-get can
    > resolve dependencies such as libdvdcss,sox,lame etc. However i cant do
    > this in my windows machine at my workplace. So I would rather want an
    > interface that will list all the needed packages needed by xine in one
    > page so that i can download them all with a batch downloader in windows
    > and copy it to my ubuntu machine so that i can direct the apt-get to
    > the appropriate directory.

    Pretty sure the dependencies - in debian at least - are listed on the
    debian web site as part of the package information.

  8. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:57:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > Pretty sure the dependencies - in debian at least - are listed on
    > the debian web site as part of the package information.

    And then you have to check the dependencies for THOSE dependencies, and
    then the dependencies for THOSE, and so on. Pretty good if you enjoy
    that sort of detective work.

  9. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    I have solved the problem now. I am using a ubuntu vmware image at my
    workplace to get the packages.

  10. Re: Beating the dependency hell

    On 6 Oct 2006 03:53:50 -0700, marijuanated@gmail.com
    wrote:

    > I have solved the problem now. I am using a ubuntu vmware image at
    > my workplace to get the packages.

    That's a nice idea.

+ Reply to Thread