Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops! - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops! - Setup ; Nico, 10/04/06 15:00: > Ties wrote: > >> j0rd4n, 10/04/06 00:45: >>> I updated XFree86 from version 4.3.0 to 4.6.0. Everything seemed to go >>> smoothly with the install. However, now I cannot access my gnome or >>> KDE desktops. ...

  1. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    Nico, 10/04/06 15:00:
    > Ties wrote:
    >
    >> j0rd4n, 10/04/06 00:45:
    >>> I updated XFree86 from version 4.3.0 to 4.6.0. Everything seemed to go
    >>> smoothly with the install. However, now I cannot access my gnome or
    >>> KDE desktops. When I login to X, I am thrown into XSM (in both root
    >>> and my user login). I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS
    >>> (2.4.21-40.ELsmp) with an nVidia Quadro FX 3400 graphics card.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried executing gnome-session or switchdesk but each one throws me
    >>> back to the user login screen. I've also tried changing the 'session'
    >>> when I login through the X login screen with no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of why this might happen and how to fix it?
    >>>

    >> The whole world switched to Xorg, and you upgraded to XFree
    >> 4.6.0; does Red Hat force you to?
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.Org_Server

    > The 2.4.21 kernel is a hint that he's using RedHat Enterprise 3.x or a
    > similar release. Those use XFree86 4.3 in their latest release.
    >
    > However, NVidia drivers are a pain in the caboose. They are not managed
    > by RPM or APT or any other installer, unless you point at the LIVNA
    > repository at http://rpm.livna.org/, which may be in violation of the
    > NVidia licensing agreements.
    >
    > The NVidia installation scripts from NVidia themselves are, frankly,
    > written by a script monkey in an isolated environment. I prefer the
    > RPM's.

    The Gentoo ebuilds do a good job for me. :-)

    --
    Ties
    http://tknet.nl/

  2. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    Ties wrote:

    > Nico, 10/04/06 15:00:
    > > Ties wrote:
    > >
    > >> j0rd4n, 10/04/06 00:45:

    > >> The whole world switched to Xorg, and you upgraded to XFree
    > >> 4.6.0; does Red Hat force you to?
    > >>
    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86
    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.Org_Server

    > > The 2.4.21 kernel is a hint that he's using RedHat Enterprise 3.x or a
    > > similar release. Those use XFree86 4.3 in their latest release.
    > >
    > > However, NVidia drivers are a pain in the caboose. They are not managed
    > > by RPM or APT or any other installer, unless you point at the LIVNA
    > > repository at http://rpm.livna.org/, which may be in violation of the
    > > NVidia licensing agreements.
    > >
    > > The NVidia installation scripts from NVidia themselves are, frankly,
    > > written by a script monkey in an isolated environment. I prefer the
    > > RPM's.
    > >

    > The Gentoo ebuilds do a good job for me. :-)

    Did Gentoo put a wrapper on the NVidia installer? The one from NVidia
    does not handle multiple kernels, and if you accidentally use a newer
    installer without uniinstalling the previous version of NVidia drivers
    manually, it deletes both the default OpenGL and the new NVidia
    libraries, and the installer for the new version fails miserably
    without any OpenGL libraries in place.

    They're really quite hazardous if you don't know about these vagaries.

  3. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    Nico, 10/05/06 14:42:
    > Ties wrote:
    >
    >> Nico, 10/04/06 15:00:

    >>> The 2.4.21 kernel is a hint that he's using RedHat Enterprise 3.x or a
    >>> similar release. Those use XFree86 4.3 in their latest release.
    >>>
    >>> However, NVidia drivers are a pain in the caboose. They are not managed
    >>> by RPM or APT or any other installer, unless you point at the LIVNA
    >>> repository at http://rpm.livna.org/, which may be in violation of the
    >>> NVidia licensing agreements.
    >>>
    >>> The NVidia installation scripts from NVidia themselves are, frankly,
    >>> written by a script monkey in an isolated environment. I prefer the
    >>> RPM's.
    >>>

    >> The Gentoo ebuilds do a good job for me. :-)

    > Did Gentoo put a wrapper on the NVidia installer? The one from NVidia
    > does not handle multiple kernels, and if you accidentally use a newer
    > installer without uniinstalling the previous version of NVidia drivers
    > manually, it deletes both the default OpenGL and the new NVidia
    > libraries, and the installer for the new version fails miserably
    > without any OpenGL libraries in place.
    >
    > They're really quite hazardous if you don't know about these vagaries.

    In fact "Gentoo does not use the NVidia installer". :-)

    --
    Ties
    http://tknet.nl/

  4. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    Ties wrote:

    > In fact "Gentoo does not use the NVidia installer". :-)

    Does it still play the "who's got the *big* sausage" game with the
    OpenGL libraries that NVidia did, moving aside the normal OpenGL
    libraries and leaves symlinks from the NVidia binaries to the default
    locatins? I always hated that trick: it wouldn't have taken much for
    NVidia to do that right, but they failed to detect even their own

  5. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    I used the livna nvidia packages and for some reason they failed me.
    Fc4 x86_64. It was combined with a kernel upgrade but I'm not sure
    what the correct order for managing this is.

    Then I used the nvidia installer but the livna packages were still on
    the systerm and the installer got very unhappy. It did spit out some
    useful messages however.

    Eventually I got back a working video driver with open gl 2.0. And
    swore never to dabble with those livna packages again!

    gray e

  6. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    gray wrote:

    > I used the livna nvidia packages and for some reason they failed me.
    > Fc4 x86_64. It was combined with a kernel upgrade but I'm not sure
    > what the correct order for managing this is.

    I'm surprised it failed.

    > Then I used the nvidia installer but the livna packages were still on
    > the systerm and the installer got very unhappy. It did spit out some
    > useful messages however.

    Oh, that's begging for messiness. Those NVidia installer scripts are
    pretty odd.

    > Eventually I got back a working video driver with open gl 2.0. And
    > swore never to dabble with those livna packages again!

    Did you re-install your OpenGL RPM's, or did you compile from scratch?
    If you need help doing the RPM fixing, maybe I can help walk you
    through it.

    I'd love to see the errors you had with the Livna repository.

  7. Re: XFree86 Update Killed my Gnome and KDE Desktops!

    (re use of livna/ nvidia rpms)
    > I'm surprised it failed.

    yes - perhaps I messed up the coordination with the kernel upgrade. I
    ran both the kernel upgrade and the nvidia/livna driver install and
    then restarted. Can't remember the precise problems I had but ... no
    accelerated x-display I guess (ie just base Xorg nvidia drivers)...

    Perhaps my problem was caused by the previous use of the nvidia
    installer script - on my original install - which messed with the livna
    packages.

    (re combining livna rpms and nvidia scripts)
    > Oh, that's begging for messiness. Those NVidia installer scripts are
    > pretty odd.

    If I just follow the instructions they work for me. The instructions
    are looong but once you've got through them once...

    > > Eventually I got back a working video driver with open gl 2.0. And
    > > swore never to dabble with those livna packages again!

    > Did you re-install your OpenGL RPM's, or did you compile from scratch?
    > If you need help doing the RPM fixing, maybe I can help walk you
    > through it.

    I removed the relevant livna rpms and ran the nvidia installer scripts
    again. From a console. I was sure I was in for more trouble but those
    nvidia scripts worked it out. Thanks for the offer of helping with the
    rpms though.

    Graham

+ Reply to Thread