dd_rescue nightmare --- help please - Security

This is a discussion on dd_rescue nightmare --- help please - Security ; Okay, I was using dd_rescue to recover a partition from damaged disc ('/dev/sda2'). It was approximately 50 GB I setup dd_rescue to write to /dev/sdb1 dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1 Problem was, /dev/sdb1 had all sorts of important stuff on it. (it's ...

  1. dd_rescue nightmare --- help please

    Okay, I was using dd_rescue to recover a partition from damaged disc
    ('/dev/sda2'). It was approximately 50 GB

    I setup dd_rescue to write to /dev/sdb1

    dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1

    Problem was, /dev/sdb1 had all sorts of important stuff on it. (it's
    a FAT partition)

    I intended to write to /dev/sdb2!

    dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1

    I let the damn thing run for almost half an hour before I discovered
    it.

    I need to recover as much as possible - the filenames if at all
    possible.....

    argh

  2. Re: dd_rescue nightmare --- help please

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 02:46:08 -0700 (PDT), Trevor Hugh Davis wrote:

    >Okay, I was using dd_rescue to recover a partition from damaged disc
    >('/dev/sda2'). It was approximately 50 GB
    >
    >I setup dd_rescue to write to /dev/sdb1
    >
    >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1
    >
    >Problem was, /dev/sdb1 had all sorts of important stuff on it. (it's
    >a FAT partition)
    >

    >I intended to write to /dev/sdb2!
    >
    >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1
    >
    >I let the damn thing run for almost half an hour before I discovered
    >it.
    >
    >I need to recover as much as possible - the filenames if at all
    >possible.....

    The FAT directory area got wiped out first

    Grant.
    --
    Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.

  3. Re: dd_rescue nightmare --- help please

    Trevor Hugh Davis writes:

    >Okay, I was using dd_rescue to recover a partition from damaged disc
    >('/dev/sda2'). It was approximately 50 GB

    >I setup dd_rescue to write to /dev/sdb1

    >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1

    >Problem was, /dev/sdb1 had all sorts of important stuff on it. (it's
    >a FAT partition)

    It is gone. If you made a backup, use that. If not, consider it an
    expensive learing experience.

    >I intended to write to /dev/sdb2!

    Yes. mistakes get made. That is why backups exist.

    >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1

    >I let the damn thing run for almost half an hour before I discovered
    >it.

    >I need to recover as much as possible - the filenames if at all
    >possible.....

    >argh

    Sorry, they are all gone. the directory was the first thing written over.

  4. Re: dd_rescue nightmare --- help please

    On Sep 6, 10:57*am, Unruh wrote:
    > Trevor Hugh Davis writes:
    >
    > >Okay, I was using dd_rescue to recover a partition from damaged disc
    > >('/dev/sda2'). *It was approximately 50 GB
    > >I setup dd_rescue to write to /dev/sdb1
    > >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1
    > >Problem was, /dev/sdb1 had all sorts of important stuff on it. *(it's
    > >a FAT partition)

    > It is gone. If you made a backup, use that. If not, consider it an

    Okay, I got it to the point where I can mount the drive. It then
    shows me the directory structure but gives an i/o error when I try to
    list the files. Sometimes it shows files in the wrong directory.

    Does this give me some more options for recovery?

    > expensive learing experience.
    >
    > >I intended to write to /dev/sdb2!

    > Yes. mistakes get made. That is why backups exist.
    >
    > >dd_rescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1
    > >I let the damn thing run for almost half an hour before I discovered
    > >it.
    > >I need to recover as much as possible - *the filenames if at all
    > >possible.....
    > >argh

    > Sorry, they are all gone. the directory was the first thing written over.

  5. Re: dd_rescue nightmare --- help please

    Am Sat, 06 Sep 2008 02:46:08 -0700 schrieb Trevor Hugh Davis:

    > I need to recover as much as possible - the filenames if at all
    > possible.....
    >
    > argh

    bad things happens :-(.
    see the following:
    http://3d2f.com/tags/forensics/
    http://computer-forensik.org/tools/ (german description only but you'll
    find a english descript via google too)
    http://sleuthkit.org/

    It depends how many files are overwritten, if you have luck you can
    recover some or parts of it.

    Good luck

    cheers

+ Reply to Thread