kill -9 -1 - Security

This is a discussion on kill -9 -1 - Security ; Hi all, I was going through the book "Hacking Ubuntu" by Neil Krawetz, in this book it is said that never do kill -9 -1 as root. in my office i tried this command as root on an RHEL4 machine ...

  1. kill -9 -1

    Hi all,

    I was going through the book "Hacking Ubuntu" by Neil Krawetz, in this
    book it is said that never do kill -9 -1 as root.

    in my office i tried this command as root on an RHEL4 machine

    but there was'nt any system crash as i expected only the x-server got
    crashed, and the commands like ps, ls were n't giving any o/p.

    when i rebooted the machine everything was back to normal

    my question why init process wasn't killed ?

  2. Re: kill -9 -1

    aarklon@gmail.com :

    > I was going through the book "Hacking Ubuntu" by Neil Krawetz, in this
    > book it is said that never do kill -9 -1 as root.
    >
    > in my office i tried this command as root on an RHEL4 machine
    >
    > but there was'nt any system crash as i expected only the x-server got
    > crashed, and the commands like ps, ls were n't giving any o/p.
    >
    > when i rebooted the machine everything was back to normal
    >
    > my question why init process wasn't killed ?

    "A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process
    itself and init."

    Next time, read "man 1 kill" before asking ...

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

+ Reply to Thread