How to get an "alert" when a process dies - Security

This is a discussion on How to get an "alert" when a process dies - Security ; In article , nicc777 wrote: >Is there a way to trigger an event (like running a script) when a >process dies? Perhaps even a script to restart a process if it detects >that it's dead? Drop it into inittab. Job ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: How to get an "alert" when a process dies

    In article ,
    nicc777 wrote:
    >Is there a way to trigger an event (like running a script) when a
    >process dies? Perhaps even a script to restart a process if it detects
    >that it's dead?

    Drop it into inittab. Job done.

    Chris

  2. Re: How to get an "alert" when a process dies

    nicc777 wrote:

    > Even though I use Linux a lot, I have not been doing a lot of hard
    > core Linux sysadmin stuff for some time, hence the question here :-)
    >
    > Is there a way to trigger an event (like running a script) when a
    > process dies? Perhaps even a script to restart a process if it detects
    > that it's dead?
    >
    > I have been using cron for monitoring processes up to now, but the
    > monitoring interval is 1 minute apart. I have a project (streaming of
    > nature) that should not go down, but the problem is that sometimes it
    > dies and it takes up to a minute before the traditional monitoring
    > script will restart it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Wrap it with something like

    while [ ! -e /var/run/yourprogram.stop ]; do
    yourprogram
    sleep 1
    done

    This restarts the program as long as no file
    /var/run/yourprogram.stop exists.

    Florian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2