PAM erros - Security

This is a discussion on PAM erros - Security ; Since upgrading from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, I have started getting regular errors of the form: CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so) CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or ...

  1. PAM erros

    Since upgrading from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, I have started getting regular
    errors of the form:

    CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
    CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
    CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open
    shared object file: No such file or directory]

    Some of these errors occur when cron runs leafnode, but leafnode seems to
    work OK

    Can someone explain the significance of this?

    Thanks,
    - Richard
    --
    Richard Kimber
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  2. Re: PAM erros

    Richard Kimber wrote:

    > Since upgrading from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, I have started getting regular
    > errors of the form:
    >
    > CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
    > CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
    > CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open
    > shared object file: No such file or directory]
    >
    > Some of these errors occur when cron runs leafnode, but leafnode seems to
    > work OK
    >
    > Can someone explain the significance of this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Richard

    No input, but I do have a question... what does cron run leafnode? There's
    no possible reason for this to need to happen.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: PAM erros

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > No input, but I do have a question... what does cron run leafnode? There's
    > no possible reason for this to need to happen.

    OK. Thanks. I'll look into that. Maybe I did it that way because I wasn't
    clear how to make fetchnews operate at the times and frequency that I
    wanted. It's been like that for quite a while.

    The original problem was solved by installing libpam-smbpass, though I have
    no need for it or any smb-related stuff. I can only think that some smb
    stuff was installed by default, but that they forgot to include
    libpam-smbpass.

    - Richard.
    --
    Richard Kimber
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  4. Re: PAM erros

    On 30 Apr, 20:44, Richard Kimber wrote:
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    > > No input, but I do have a question... what does cron run leafnode? There's
    > > no possible reason for this to need to happen.

    > OK. Thanks. I'll look into that. Maybe I did it that way because I wasn't
    > clear how to make fetchnews operate at the times and frequency that I
    > wanted. It's been like that for quite a while.
    >
    > The original problem was solved by installing libpam-smbpass, though I have
    > no need for it or any smb-related stuff. I can only think that some smb
    > stuff was installed by default, but that they forgot to include
    > libpam-smbpass.
    >
    > - Richard.
    > --
    > Richard Kimberhttp://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

    Wouldn't it just have been simpler to remove it from the relevant pam
    config files?

    (I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu but for most Linuxen....)

    cd /etc/pam.d
    grep pam_smb *

    (but do make sure you're not removing *ALL* the authentication from a
    service which requires it)

    C.

  5. Re: PAM erros

    "C." wrote:

    > > no need for it or any smb-related stuff. I can only think that some smb
    > > stuff was installed by default, but that they forgot to include
    > > libpam-smbpass.

    > Wouldn't it just have been simpler to remove it from the relevant pam
    > config files?
    >
    > (I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu but for most Linuxen....)
    >
    > cd /etc/pam.d
    > grep pam_smb *
    >
    > (but do make sure you're not removing *ALL* the authentication from a
    > service which requires it)

    Well, quite. I know nothing about pam and am reluctant to mess with it.

    - Richard
    --
    Richard Kimber
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/