ADVERT: Secure comms - Security

This is a discussion on ADVERT: Secure comms - Security ; C12-GAMMA; a free/open-source E-mail security tool for BSD/Linux: http://www.leopard.uk.com/cion [ probably the most important cryptography software ever written; because it contains the CipherPacket source-code/algorithm ]...

  1. ADVERT: Secure comms

    C12-GAMMA; a free/open-source E-mail security tool for BSD/Linux:

    http://www.leopard.uk.com/cion

    [ probably the most important cryptography software ever written;
    because it contains the CipherPacket source-code/algorithm ]

  2. Re: ADVERT: Secure comms

    On 22 Jan, 17:01, robin_car...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > C12-GAMMA; a free/open-source E-mail security tool for BSD/Linux:
    >
    > http://www.leopard.uk.com/cion
    >
    > [ probably the most important cryptography software ever written;
    > * because it contains the CipherPacket source-code/algorithm ]

    Oh, ghod, this idiot is back?

    He's been doing this for years: the frontpage for his software lies
    about the license, which he claims "may not be used for terrorism" but
    in fact makes no restrictions on using it for any illegal purpose. It
    just swears that it's not hte author's fault or problem. His tarball
    is misnames (it doesn't match the name of hte directory it contains),

    He somehow thinks it's going to replace PGP, but you have to go
    digging through the source code and documentation unavailable at his
    website to figure out what it actually *IS*. He then spends pages
    talking about security issues which have nothing, in fact, to do with
    his software. (Keystroke monitoring, CRT monitoring, etc.)

    And the software has, accordiing to his own documentation been tested
    on Linux. So it's in fact off-charter for this group for him to be
    spamvertising here.

  3. Re: ADVERT: Secure comms

    On 2008-01-22, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > On 22 Jan, 17:01, robin_car...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >> C12-GAMMA; a free/open-source E-mail security tool for BSD/Linux:
    >>
    >> http://www.leopard.uk.com/cion
    >>
    >> [ probably the most important cryptography software ever written;
    >> * because it contains the CipherPacket source-code/algorithm ]

    > Oh, ghod, this idiot is back?
    >
    > He's been doing this for years: the frontpage for his software lies
    > about the license, which he claims "may not be used for terrorism" but
    > in fact makes no restrictions on using it for any illegal purpose.

    Is that really an issue? Can we credibly suppose that a terrorist will
    download this software, read the license, and then exclaim "Gosh! I'd
    better not use this for my nefarious plotting!"

    > He somehow thinks it's going to replace PGP, but you have to go
    > digging through the source code and documentation unavailable at his
    > website to figure out what it actually *IS*. He then spends pages
    > talking about security issues which have nothing, in fact, to do with
    > his software. (Keystroke monitoring, CRT monitoring, etc.)

    This is the real issue, as far as I'm concerned.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: ADVERT: Secure comms

    On 23 Jan, 23:46, John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-01-22, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > On 22 Jan, 17:01, robin_car...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > >> C12-GAMMA; a free/open-source E-mail security tool for BSD/Linux:

    > >>http://www.leopard.uk.com/cion

    > >> [ probably the most important cryptography software ever written;
    > >> * because it contains the CipherPacket source-code/algorithm ]

    > > Oh, ghod, this idiot is back?

    > > He's been doing this for years: the frontpage for his software lies
    > > about the license, which he claims "may not be used for terrorism" but
    > > in fact makes no restrictions on using it for any illegal purpose.

    > Is that really an issue? Can we credibly suppose that a terrorist will
    > download this software, read the license, and then exclaim "Gosh! I'd
    > better not use this for my nefarious plotting!"

    It's an issue because he's flat-out lying on the front page
    advertisingn of his website, that I can point out as discrediting hisi
    other claims without having to debug his code for him.

    > > He somehow thinks it's going to replace PGP, but you have to go
    > > digging through the source code and documentation unavailable at his
    > > website to figure out what it actually *IS*. He then spends pages
    > > talking about security issues which have nothing, in fact, to do with
    > > his software. (Keystroke monitoring, CRT monitoring, etc.)

    > This is the real issue, as far as I'm concerned.

    True, but it's more subtle.

+ Reply to Thread