How secure is inetd nowadays? - Security

This is a discussion on How secure is inetd nowadays? - Security ; Hi All, Some years ago (late '90s) I stopped using inetd, because there were some serious security issues. I think mainly around the portmapper, IIRC. Anyway, I moved to making all the services I want to use run as permanent ...

  1. How secure is inetd nowadays?

    Hi All,

    Some years ago (late '90s) I stopped using inetd, because there were some
    serious security issues. I think mainly around the portmapper, IIRC. Anyway,
    I moved to making all the services I want to use run as permanent daemons -
    exim, apache etc. etc.

    This has worked fine - I've not touched inetd since then. Until now - I've
    just installed Leafnode, having found Cnews way too abstruse and INN too big
    for my needs. Leafnode will not run as a standalone daemon, so I have had to
    reinstall inetd. I'm using the "openbsd-inetd" which comes with my distro
    (Debian Etch).

    I've been unable to find any up-to-date analysis of this version of inetd.
    All I can find are a few articles that say, basically "inetd used to be
    insecure, most people use xinetd now".

    Can anyone here enlighten me a little further? Am I running any particular
    security risks using the default Debian inetd? Should I switch to xinetd?

    Grateful for any tips, or pointers to articles etc.

    Many thanks,

    CC

  2. Re: How secure is inetd nowadays?

    "Magnate" writes:

    >Hi All,

    >Some years ago (late '90s) I stopped using inetd, because there were some
    >serious security issues. I think mainly around the portmapper, IIRC. Anyway,
    >I moved to making all the services I want to use run as permanent daemons -
    >exim, apache etc. etc.

    >This has worked fine - I've not touched inetd since then. Until now - I've
    >just installed Leafnode, having found Cnews way too abstruse and INN too big
    >for my needs. Leafnode will not run as a standalone daemon, so I have had to
    >reinstall inetd. I'm using the "openbsd-inetd" which comes with my distro
    >(Debian Etch).

    Uh, inetd has been replaced by xinetd.

    >I've been unable to find any up-to-date analysis of this version of inetd.
    >All I can find are a few articles that say, basically "inetd used to be
    >insecure, most people use xinetd now".

    Yes. So why not use xinetd?

+ Reply to Thread