How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protect itself - Security

This is a discussion on How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protect itself - Security ; Hi ,everyone I'm now trying some exp on my vmware to learn how to write exploit. But sometimes ,the exploit download from net doesn't work...see...There has got some method to perevent box from common stack buffer overflow ,for example: non-exec ...

  1. How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protect itself

    Hi ,everyone

    I'm now trying some exp on my vmware to learn how to write exploit.

    But sometimes ,the exploit download from net doesn't
    work...see...There has got some method to perevent box from common
    stack buffer overflow ,for example: non-exec stack....

    But there is a question : How can I know my linux dist has adopt what
    ways to protect the stack?

    greedz

  2. Re: How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protect itself

    You may notice the version of exploit which you download.
    As I know all exploits is for special kernel,not for all.

  3. Re: How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protectitself

    On Dec 4, 11:07 pm, laoyao54 wrote:
    > You may notice the version of exploit which you download.
    > As I know all exploits is for special kernel,not for all.

    Yes,you are right ,but what i wanna know is If i wanna write a exp for
    a version Where can I get the info about the target has adopted some
    protection ?'

    gredz.

  4. Re: How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protectitself

    On Dec 5, 10:17 am, xi4oyu wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 11:07 pm, laoyao54 wrote:
    >
    > Where can I get the info about the target has adopted some
    > protection ?'
    >
    > gredz.

    Maybe, you could check kernel options in you /proc/sys/kernel
    directory:
    => For the non-exec stack check out the exec-shield file, if it
    contains "1", the non-exec stack option is enabled.
    => Concerning the randomized address protection, see the exec-shield-
    randomize or randomize_va_space file.

  5. Re: How to find what methods does the linux-box used to protectitself

    On Dec 19, 9:28 pm, vlad wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 10:17 am, xi4oyu wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 4, 11:07 pm, laoyao54 wrote:

    > > Where can I get the info about the target has adopted some
    > > protection ?'

    > > gredz.

    > Maybe, you could check kernel options in you /proc/sys/kernel
    > directory:
    > => For the non-exec stack check out the exec-shield file, if it
    > contains "1", the non-exec stack option is enabled.
    > => Concerning the randomized address protection, see the exec-shield-
    > randomize or randomize_va_space file.

    thnx man...

+ Reply to Thread