passwd prompts for new password only once when <enter> is pressed - Security

This is a discussion on passwd prompts for new password only once when <enter> is pressed - Security ; When I just press the "enter" key when passwd prompts for new password, I should get re-prompted 3 times. Instead, it reprompts only once for FC 6. How to change passwd's behavior so that it will re-prompt 3 times? # ...

  1. passwd prompts for new password only once when <enter> is pressed

    When I just press the "enter" key when passwd prompts for new
    password, I should get re-prompted 3 times. Instead, it reprompts only
    once for FC 6.
    How to change passwd's behavior so that it will re-prompt 3 times?

    # adduser admin
    # passwd admin
    Changing password for user admin.
    New UNIX password:
    BAD PASSWORD: it is WAY too short
    Retype new UNIX password:
    No password supplied
    No password supplied
    No password supplied
    passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

    # uname -a
    Linux tulip 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:20 EDT 2006 i686
    i686 i386 GNU/Linux

  2. Re: passwd prompts for new password only once when <enter> is pressed

    wong_powah@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > When I just press the "enter" key when passwd prompts for new
    > password, I should get re-prompted 3 times. Instead, it reprompts only
    > once for FC 6.
    > How to change passwd's behavior so that it will re-prompt 3 times?

    Passwd assumes that if you're changing a password as root then you
    really know what you're doing. For all other users it will continue to
    insist for a valid password.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread