telnet session times out - Security

This is a discussion on telnet session times out - Security ; I'm connecting from a WinXP machine into a Linux Fedora Core 6 machine via telnet. After a while of inactivity the telnet times out. Connecting via telnet is a requirement. I cannot use other connection tools My questions: 1. How ...

  1. telnet session times out

    I'm connecting from a WinXP machine into a Linux Fedora Core 6 machine
    via telnet.
    After a while of inactivity the telnet times out.
    Connecting via telnet is a requirement. I cannot use other connection
    tools
    My questions:
    1. How could I tell if the connection is closed by the server (Fedora
    Core 6) or by the client (WinXP)
    2. Where and how could I set the time out to infinite

    Thanks,
    Avner

  2. Re: telnet session times out

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:09:05 -0700, Avi wrote:

    > I'm connecting from a WinXP machine into a Linux Fedora Core 6 machine
    > via telnet.
    > After a while of inactivity the telnet times out.
    > Connecting via telnet is a requirement. I cannot use other connection
    > tools
    > My questions:
    > 1. How could I tell if the connection is closed by the server (Fedora
    > Core 6) or by the client (WinXP)
    > 2. Where and how could I set the time out to infinite
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Avner

    You need to look at the traffic to see what is being exchanged.
    _Assuming_ that you have administrator rights to both machines, you can
    install and run a sniffer to do that. TCPDUMP is the one of choice for
    Linux command execution, or Wireshark is a GUI with ports to most OS's.

    I don't know how one would set a timeout to infinite, nor what legitimate
    justification there might possibly be for that. Most of the readers and
    writers here have seen more malicious and disruptive behaviors than we
    would have liked. Setting a connection timeout to infinite seems
    unnecessary and unfriendly, and will probably get you little sympathy. It
    could get you worse if you don't own both machines and your intentions are
    less than honorable.

  3. Re: telnet session times out

    On 24 Aug, 03:09, Avi wrote:
    > I'm connecting from a WinXP machine into a Linux Fedora Core 6 machine
    > via telnet.
    > After a while of inactivity the telnet times out.
    > Connecting via telnet is a requirement. I cannot use other connection
    > tools
    > My questions:
    > 1. How could I tell if the connection is closed by the server (Fedora
    > Core 6) or by the client (WinXP)
    > 2. Where and how could I set the time out to infinite
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Avner

    This is often due to an "autologout" in your shell. Check your bash or
    csh settings, besides checking the network possibilities.

    And *slap in the head* whoever is making you use telnet, because using
    an unencrypted and insecure protocol like that is just a bad idea when
    good alternatives like SSH exist.

+ Reply to Thread