hacked...? - Security

This is a discussion on hacked...? - Security ; Hi all, I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I ...

  1. hacked...?

    Hi all,
    I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant

    For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my
    d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I was in no mood to check mail
    or browse internet, ( it happens...) - I connect through a local area
    network - It came as a surprise when , a couple of days ago, my friend
    network administration told me that he saw me online ...as a first step ,
    after fixing the d-link problem I changed my password but the "problem "
    persisted, I could actually see on my friends computer screen my name
    online, and I was not able to connect from my PC; I was receiving the
    message "network unreacheble" after pinging my IP...

    He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    IP with a different MAC...
    Sorry, I can not be more specific as networking is definetly not my
    field,

    The MAC has being disabled now and my IP has to be changed I believe...I
    was wondering if there is a way to find out who did it, and if that
    changing the IP would be enough... Any help would be appreciated...
    santo

  2. Re: hacked...?

    santo wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant
    >
    > For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my
    > d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I was in no mood to check mail
    > or browse internet, ( it happens...) - I connect through a local area
    > network - It came as a surprise when , a couple of days ago, my friend
    > network administration told me that he saw me online ...as a first step ,
    > after fixing the d-link problem I changed my password but the "problem "
    > persisted, I could actually see on my friends computer screen my name
    > online, and I was not able to connect from my PC; I was receiving the
    > message "network unreacheble" after pinging my IP...
    >
    > He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    > only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    > "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    > IP with a different MAC...
    > Sorry, I can not be more specific as networking is definetly not my
    > field,
    >
    > The MAC has being disabled now and my IP has to be changed I believe...I
    > was wondering if there is a way to find out who did it, and if that
    > changing the IP would be enough... Any help would be appreciated...
    > santo

    You PC's MAC address (defined by your network card/chip) does not go beyond
    the first router, so that is not relevant. Changing the IP is a total red
    herring too - very seldom does an IP address define security on the public
    internet, and if it does, it is a poor way to do it.

    Could you define "online" more properly please. Online on what
    server/service/forum/chat root/etc. There is insufficient information to
    give a meaningful reply to this. Guessing, someone nicked your login and
    password to something.

    In the vaguest and most general sense, changing all your passwords (at least
    the ones that matter) is the most sensible thing you can do if you suspect
    foul play.

    Cheers

    Tim

  3. Re: hacked...?

    santo :

    > He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    > only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    > "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    > IP with a different MAC...

    Phone your ISP and tell them to change your password.

    Now your problem is to find out how he got your password. Telnet and
    ftp transmit passwords in cleartext. Use ssh. If you don't need to
    ssh into your box from elsewhere, don't run sshd.

    What services do you have running on your box? Are you sure you need
    them? If so, lock them down.

    Hopefully, he's not done anything dastardly (spamming, cracking, ...)
    that will trace back to you.

    (*) Linux Counter #80292

  4. Re: hacked...?

    s. keeling :
    > santo :
    > >
    > > He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    > > only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    > > "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    > > IP with a different MAC...

    > Phone your ISP and tell them to change your password.
    >
    > Now your problem is to find out how he got your password. Telnet and

    .... And if your box was compromised, you need to consider
    re-installing from CD. No telling what they may have left behind.

    (*) Linux Counter #80292