SSH compile error - Security

This is a discussion on SSH compile error - Security ; I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully. When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error messages. Most of them ...

  1. SSH compile error

    I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install
    of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully.

    When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error
    messages. Most of them are coming from a file called "divmod_1.c",
    reporting syntax errors and stuff, as posted below:

    divmod_1.c:191: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    divmod_1.c:193: error: syntax error before "if"
    divmod_1.c:204: error: syntax error before ':' token
    make[3]: *** [divmod_1.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    mpn'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    mpn'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2'
    make: *** [gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/libgmp.a] Error 2

    There was a big long list of other divmod errors above that. I have
    very little experience in Shell and C programming. I'm just trying to
    install SSH1 and 2. When I installed Slackware, I did a full install,
    and I realize that SSH was automatically installed. I did in fact use
    it before I obtained the latest source code. I'm just doing this for
    the sake of installing new software, and getting experience with SSH.

    Any ideas about where to start? If someone could point me in the
    right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

    Steven

  2. Re: SSH compile error

    I demand that Steven Borrelli may or may not have written...

    > I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install
    > of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully.

    > When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error
    > messages. Most of them are coming from a file called "divmod_1.c",
    > reporting syntax errors and stuff, as posted below:

    > divmod_1.c:191: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > divmod_1.c:193: error: syntax error before "if"
    > divmod_1.c:204: error: syntax error before ':' token
    > make[3]: *** [divmod_1.o] Error 1
    > make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    > mpn'

    [snip]

    > There was a big long list of other divmod errors above that.

    Look at the *first* few errors. It may well be that only one (probably the
    first one) is significant, with the rest being nothing more than fallout from
    that.

    [snip]
    | + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear. FORGET COAL AND OIL.

    Garlic is to salad what insanity is to art.

+ Reply to Thread