Blocking iphiding sites - Security

This is a discussion on Blocking iphiding sites - Security ; Hi Everyone, In my Redhat linux 9 system, I am using Squid as proxy. Using squidguard I used to block the unwanted sites. But some users are still accessing the blocked sites using some Iphiding sites(example: hideme.com). Apart from blocking ...

  1. Blocking iphiding sites

    Hi Everyone,

    In my Redhat linux 9 system, I am using Squid as proxy. Using
    squidguard I used to block the unwanted sites. But some users are
    still accessing the blocked sites using some
    Iphiding sites(example: hideme.com).
    Apart from blocking the ip hiding sites, is there any other way to
    stop the users from accessing the blocked sites.

    Is there any ports I can block ,
    which is used by the iphiding sites. Any specific ports are used by
    them?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Blocking iphiding sites

    Hi there,

    No I don't think that's really possible.
    But then IMHO there's got to be a damn good reason why you want to
    block those sites.
    If I suppose it's the nature of the content, then why try to block
    sites!
    Better way is set rules to block on basis of content, so that you
    really aren't bothered about where it's coming from.

    We had a similar problem, and put in safesquid to block specific
    content like ads, porn, executables, video, audio, etc from anywhere.
    and then added another rule to allow relaxation to a few of important
    sites. So now we really don't care if the users want to try getting
    stuff from any one of those mushrooming and sneaky anonymous proxies.

    Sean

  3. Re: Blocking iphiding sites

    wrote in message
    news:1181199122.611480.187870@z28g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > No I don't think that's really possible.
    > But then IMHO there's got to be a damn good reason why you want to
    > block those sites.
    > If I suppose it's the nature of the content, then why try to block
    > sites!
    > Better way is set rules to block on basis of content, so that you
    > really aren't bothered about where it's coming from.
    >
    > We had a similar problem, and put in safesquid to block specific
    > content like ads, porn, executables, video, audio, etc from anywhere.
    > and then added another rule to allow relaxation to a few of important
    > sites. So now we really don't care if the users want to try getting
    > stuff from any one of those mushrooming and sneaky anonymous proxies.
    >
    > Sean

    I put in a SonicWall appliance at our financial services office. We can't
    let anyone in to steal data. Sure enough, our office manager found a proxy
    site and went to his favorite haunts anyway. The old guy that likes porn
    wasn't offered these sites I have to block the proxies - if I can find
    out about them.

    doug

  4. Re: Blocking iphiding sites

    On Jun 8, 5:19 pm, "Doug Holtz" wrote:
    > I put in a SonicWall appliance at our financial services office. We can't
    > let anyone in to steal data. Sure enough, our office manager found a proxy
    > site and went to his favorite haunts anyway. The old guy that likes porn
    > wasn't offered these sites I have to block the proxies - if I can find
    > out about them.

    The challenge here is to decisively 'identify' a website as a 'proxy'
    site, or belonging to a specific category in real time. We use the
    SafeSquid 'Keyword Filter' for this purpose. This link explains how it
    is done - http://www.safesquid.com/html/viewtopic.php?t=2007

    We also use the categorized database from urlblacklist.com that has a
    category 'proxy' of all known proxy sites.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread