Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users - Security

This is a discussion on Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users - Security ; Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)? TIA, -Ramon...

  1. Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?

    TIA,

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    Ramon F Herrera writes:

    > Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    > access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?

    Yes, via the AllowUsers option in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and

  3. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    > access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?

    group access?

    --

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

  4. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:22:31 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    > access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?

    man sshd

    Do something to help yourself, Win-droid.

  5. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    Ramon F Herrera writes:

    > Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    > access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Ramon

    Read the first hit from google for

    "ssh restrict users"

    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec4sshdusers.html

    --

  6. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    On May 27, 7:22 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    > access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Ramon

    Set the shell in the /etc/passwd file to be /bin/false
    FTP login should still work but you should verify.

    mike@surgeontech.com

  7. Re: Would like to restrict ssh access to specific users

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:30:09 -0700, "mike wrote:

    > On May 27, 7:22 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> Other than hacking the source code, is there any way to restrict
    >> access through ssh to some specified user (for instance, moi)?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> -Ramon

    > Set the shell in the /etc/passwd file to be /bin/false
    > FTP login should still work but you should verify.
    >
    > mike@surgeontech.com

    Or you could just allow selected users...

    SSHD_CONFIG(5) BSD File Formats Manual SSHD_CONFIG(5)

    NAME
    sshd_config - OpenSSH SSH daemon configuration file

    SYNOPSIS
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    DESCRIPTION
    [...]
    AllowUsers
    This keyword can be followed by a list of user name patterns, separated by
    spaces. If specified, login is allowed only for user names that match one of
    the patterns. '*' and '?' can be used as wildcards in the patterns. Only
    user names are valid; a numerical user ID is not recognized. By default,
    login is allowed for all users. If the pattern takes the form USER@HOST then
    USER and HOST are separately checked, restricting logins to particular users
    from particular hosts.

+ Reply to Thread