Security and literature - Security

This is a discussion on Security and literature - Security ; I came across this quote in a blog comment recently: "I am reminded of E. E. "Doc" Smith in the Lensman series of books stating that anything humans and technologically create as a security measure can be analyzed and bypassed. ...

  1. Security and literature

    I came across this quote in a blog comment recently:

    "I am reminded of E. E. "Doc" Smith in the Lensman series of books
    stating that anything humans and technologically create as a security
    measure can be analyzed and bypassed. This was in Galactic Patrol
    published in 1937."

    Now it's been a few years since I've read the Lensman series, and I
    can't place that quote.

    Anyone know the reference? It would be pretty neat, and would certainly
    raise my already high opinion of E.E. "Doc" Smith.

    --Yan

  2. Re: Security and literature

    CptDondo wrote:
    > I came across this quote in a blog comment recently:
    >
    > "I am reminded of E. E. "Doc" Smith in the Lensman series of books
    > stating that anything humans and technologically create as a security
    > measure can be analyzed and bypassed. This was in Galactic Patrol
    > published in 1937."
    >
    > Now it's been a few years since I've read the Lensman series, and I
    > can't place that quote.
    >
    > Anyone know the reference? It would be pretty neat, and would certainly
    > raise my already high opinion of E.E. "Doc" Smith.

    It'd take a concentrated reading of the book (237 pages in the paperback in my
    SF library), but the blog /might/ have referred to this passage:

    "We have all wondered about the Lens, sir, of course," Maitland ventured.
    "The outlaws apparently keep up with us in science. I have always supposed
    that what science can build, science can duplicate. Surely more than one
    Lens has fallen into the hads of the outlaws?"

    Galactic Patrol by E.E. "Doc" Smith
    Chapter 1 - Graduation

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Security and literature

    At Tue, 22 May 2007 12:59:41 -0700 CptDondo wrote:

    > I came across this quote in a blog comment recently:
    >
    > "I am reminded of E. E. "Doc" Smith in the Lensman series of books
    > stating that anything humans and technologically create as a security
    > measure can be analyzed and bypassed. This was in Galactic Patrol
    > published in 1937."
    >
    > Now it's been a few years since I've read the Lensman series, and I
    > can't place that quote.
    >
    > Anyone know the reference? It would be pretty neat, and would certainly
    > raise my already high opinion of E.E. "Doc" Smith.

    I have a copy of "Galactic Patrol" (part of a SciFi Book Club re-print
    of "Triplanetart", "First Lensman", and "Galactic Patrol" entitled
    "Chronicals of the Lensmen, Volume 1". I can do a search of this book
    and get back to you...

    --
    Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk