Odd sharing problem - Security

This is a discussion on Odd sharing problem - Security ; I have a lan with one Windows XP laptop and one PCLinuxos TR3 desktop. On the desktop I have two directories in my Home Directory that are shared, called Documents and Computing. the share properties are, as far as I ...

  1. Odd sharing problem

    I have a lan with one Windows XP laptop and one PCLinuxos TR3 desktop.
    On the desktop I have two directories in my Home Directory that are shared,
    called Documents and Computing. the share properties are, as far as I can
    see ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on each directory. When I access the Documents
    directory from the Win XP laptop, I can create and delete sub-directories.
    When I access the Computing directory and try to create a sub-directory
    there, I get "access denied" and yet as I said, as far as I can see the
    share properties are EXACTLY the same for both. Can anyone suggest why I
    should have write access to one and not the other?

  2. Re: Odd sharing problem

    "Gordon" a écrit dans le message de
    > I have a lan with one Windows XP laptop and one PCLinuxos TR3 desktop.
    > On the desktop I have two directories in my Home Directory that are

    shared,
    > called Documents and Computing. the share properties are, as far as I

    can
    > see ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on each directory. When I access the

    Documents
    > directory from the Win XP laptop, I can create and delete

    sub-directories.
    > When I access the Computing directory and try to create a

    sub-directory
    > there, I get "access denied" and yet as I said, as far as I can see

    the
    > share properties are EXACTLY the same for both. Can anyone suggest why

    > should have write access to one and not the other?

    Hello,

    what's your type of share?
    cifs? nfs? another protocol ?

    please, provide more informations.

    Regards,
    Mobidyc

  3. Re: Odd sharing problem

    mobidyc wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > what's your type of share?
    > cifs? nfs? another protocol ?

    Samba

  4. Re: Odd sharing problem

    > mobidyc wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > what's your type of share?
    > > cifs? nfs? another protocol ?

    > Samba

    Ok,

    did you see something in your logs ?
    eventually, launch your samba server with the flag "-d 5"

    vi /etc/init.d/samba and modify the good lines.
    in my gentoo, i've a header with:
    opts="${opts} reload"

    still look in your logs and post here.

    Regards,
    Mobidyc

  5. Re: Odd sharing problem

    In comp.os.linux.networking Gordon wrote:
    > I have a lan with one Windows XP laptop and one PCLinuxos TR3 desktop.

    You posted this question elsewhere. See the followup(s) there and PLEASE
    don't post the same question multiple times.

    Chris

  6. Re: Odd sharing problem

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > You posted this question elsewhere. See the followup(s) there and PLEASE
    > don't post the same question multiple times.

    I wasn't subscribed to these groups at the time I posted elsewhere.....

  7. Re: Odd sharing problem

    mobidyc wrote:

    > "Gordon" a écrit dans le message de
    >> mobidyc wrote:
    >>

    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > what's your type of share?
    >> > cifs? nfs? another protocol ?

    >> Samba

    > Ok,
    >
    > did you see something in your logs ?
    > eventually, launch your samba server with the flag "-d 5"
    >
    > vi /etc/init.d/samba and modify the good lines.
    > in my gentoo, i've a header with:
    > opts="${opts} reload"
    >
    > still look in your logs and post here.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mobidyc

    Fixed - the smb.conf file was missing two lines under the offending
    section...

  8. Re: Odd sharing problem

    Gordon wrote:
    > I have a lan with one Windows XP laptop and one PCLinuxos TR3 desktop.
    > On the desktop I have two directories in my Home Directory that are shared,
    > called Documents and Computing. the share properties are, as far as I can
    > see ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on each directory. When I access the Documents
    > directory from the Win XP laptop, I can create and delete sub-directories.
    > When I access the Computing directory and try to create a sub-directory
    > there, I get "access denied" and yet as I said, as far as I can see the
    > share properties are EXACTLY the same for both. Can anyone suggest why I
    > should have write access to one and not the other?

    What about the file permissions. Does the Linux user that the Windows
    user is mapped to have the same linux file permissions in both directories?

    ....kurt

+ Reply to Thread