squid error messages - Security

This is a discussion on squid error messages - Security ; i want to disable squid signature and error messages so no body can know easily that there is aproxy server serve the network,any good ideas? thanks...

  1. squid error messages

    i want to disable squid signature and error messages so no body can
    know
    easily that there is aproxy server serve the network,any good ideas?
    thanks

  2. Re: squid error messages

    "habibielwa7id" (06-12-02 03:12:55):

    > i want to disable squid signature and error messages so no body can
    > know easily that there is aproxy server serve the network,any good
    > ideas? thanks

    As far as I know, Squid can be configured as a transparent proxy.
    Whether that suppresses error messages is another question. Actually I
    just wanted to point out that this doesn't give any security advantage.
    It just makes tracking errors harder for you.

    Regards,
    E.S.

  3. Re: squid error messages

    Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
    > "habibielwa7id" (06-12-02 03:12:55):
    >
    > > i want to disable squid signature and error messages so no body can
    > > know easily that there is aproxy server serve the network,any good
    > > ideas? thanks

    > As far as I know, Squid can be configured as a transparent proxy.
    > Whether that suppresses error messages is another question. Actually I
    > just wanted to point out that this doesn't give any security advantage.
    > It just makes tracking errors harder for you.
    >

    > Regards,
    > E.S.

    i already configured my squid as transparent proxy,i know suppresses
    error messages will not help as security concern,and i want to disable
    it for another reason really,i know how to change it or customise
    it,but i want to disable it,and yes you are right when you said it will
    make tracking errore much harder,but i can track it another
    ways,finally thanks for your reply,and i welcome any other help from
    anybody

  4. Re: squid error messages

    "habibielwa7id" (06-12-04 05:33:46):

    > > > i want to disable squid signature and error messages so no body
    > > > can know easily that there is aproxy server serve the network,any
    > > > good ideas? thanks

    > > As far as I know, Squid can be configured as a transparent proxy.
    > > Whether that suppresses error messages is another question.
    > > Actually I just wanted to point out that this doesn't give any
    > > security advantage. It just makes tracking errors harder for you.

    > i already configured my squid as transparent proxy,i know suppresses
    > error messages will not help as security concern,and i want to disable
    > it for another reason really, [...]

    Well, then I'm afraid you're in the wrong newsgroup. =)

    Anyway, Squid is still a _proxy_ server. As such, it is _supposed_ to
    tell the user that something went wrong. Chances are that error
    messages can't be disabled at all. How should the proxy server respond
    to an error anyway, if not with an error message?

    If you want a proxy server that transparent, then just use Linux' packet
    forwarding.

    Regards,
    E.S.

+ Reply to Thread