iptables vs. IP Filter - Security

This is a discussion on iptables vs. IP Filter - Security ; IPFilter is a firewalling program very similar to iptables. I have no hands on experience with it though have heard a lot of good things. In trying to restructure one of my client's networks I am entertaining all solutions. Has ...

  1. iptables vs. IP Filter

    IPFilter is a firewalling program very similar to iptables. I have no
    hands on experience with it though have heard a lot of good things. In
    trying to restructure one of my client's networks I am entertaining all
    solutions.

    Has anyone tried to use it? If so, what are your thoughts on it versus
    iptables?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: iptables vs. IP Filter

    On 11.11.2006, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:27:07 GMT, irish
    > wrote:
    >> IPFilter is a firewalling program very similar to iptables. I have no
    >> hands on experience with it though have heard a lot of good things. In
    >> trying to restructure one of my client's networks I am entertaining all
    >> solutions.
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried to use it? If so, what are your thoughts on it versus
    >> iptables?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Are you sure IPFilter isn't a front end to iptables? Iptables is built
    > into the kernel.

    Nope. iptables is frontend to netfilter. netfilter is what is built into
    the kernel.

    --
    Niektórzy lubi± dozziego...
    Oczywi¶cie szanujemy ich.

  3. Re: iptables vs. IP Filter

    On 2006-11-11, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:27:07 GMT, irish
    > wrote:
    >> IPFilter is a firewalling program very similar to iptables. I have no
    >> hands on experience with it though have heard a lot of good things. In
    >> trying to restructure one of my client's networks I am entertaining all
    >> solutions.
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried to use it? If so, what are your thoughts on it versus
    >> iptables?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Are you sure IPFilter isn't a front end to iptables? Iptables is built
    > into the kernel.

    Sigh.

    http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/

    IPFilter has nothing to do with Iptables, other than that they are
    botf firewalls.

    (To the OP, I use IPFilter, but have never used IPtables, so I am
    unable to answer your question as to how they compare.)

    --
    "Other people are not your property."