Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community - Security

This is a discussion on Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community - Security ; I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program. I would like to NOT include any vendor sites, but just index sites that are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good ...

  1. Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community

    I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and
    eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program.

    I would like to NOT include any vendor sites, but just index sites that
    are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good strategy or not?

    The URL for the search engine is
    http://www.xml-dev.com

    Here are my current guidelines for site inclusion

    1) I will NOT include any vendor site (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Bluecoat
    etc)
    2) I will check the Netcraft ranking for each suggested URL that I
    receive. The site has to rank in <50K to be included in the index.
    (e.g.
    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...urityfocus.com)
    3) I will also make sure that the site doesn't excessive amount of Ads.
    For e.g. I will not include
    http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml

    As far the inclusion of vendor sites in concerned, I think if one is
    searching for some specific information (e.g. install guide) for a
    particular product they should probably go to the vendor website or
    google it.

    However if you researching about a technology, lets says IDS, you
    really don't need to see the vendor sites. They will, off course, say
    that their product is the best in the world. For e.g. search for "Full
    Disk Encryption" on Google, and you will see that DriveCrypt and
    WinMagic show up in the first 3 results. And they both claim to be
    "best in the world" And I have tried both, and they are not the best
    (to say the least)! ;-) Instead I would like to see what other sites
    are saying about these products or "full disk encryption" in general

    Note: I am looking for few other people to help me filtering out the
    website, and updating the index. Please let me know if anyone is
    interested. As always please keep sending your favorite URLs.
    I have tons of URLs in my email box, and I will catch up with them (and
    reply to the sender) over the weekend

  2. Re: Google Powered Search Engine for Security/eSecurity Community

    Saqib Ali wrote:
    > I am building a Search Engine exclusively for the Security and
    > eSecurity Community using Google's Coop program.
    >
    > I would like to NOT include any vendor sites, but just index sites that
    > are vendor neutral. Would this is be a good strategy or not?
    >
    > The URL for the search engine is
    > http://www.xml-dev.com
    >
    > Here are my current guidelines for site inclusion
    >
    > 1) I will NOT include any vendor site (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Bluecoat
    > etc)
    > 2) I will check the Netcraft ranking for each suggested URL that I
    > receive. The site has to rank in <50K to be included in the index.
    > (e.g.
    > http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...urityfocus.com)
    > 3) I will also make sure that the site doesn't excessive amount of Ads.
    > For e.g. I will not include
    > http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml
    >
    > As far the inclusion of vendor sites in concerned, I think if one is
    > searching for some specific information (e.g. install guide) for a
    > particular product they should probably go to the vendor website or
    > google it.
    >
    > However if you researching about a technology, lets says IDS, you
    > really don't need to see the vendor sites. They will, off course, say
    > that their product is the best in the world. For e.g. search for "Full
    > Disk Encryption" on Google, and you will see that DriveCrypt and
    > WinMagic show up in the first 3 results. And they both claim to be
    > "best in the world" And I have tried both, and they are not the best
    > (to say the least)! ;-) Instead I would like to see what other sites
    > are saying about these products or "full disk encryption" in general
    >
    > Note: I am looking for few other people to help me filtering out the
    > website, and updating the index. Please let me know if anyone is
    > interested. As always please keep sending your favorite URLs.
    > I have tons of URLs in my email box, and I will catch up with them (and
    > reply to the sender) over the weekend

    Perhaps you could add
    Security Search Engine
    or something more informative to your web page's header section?

+ Reply to Thread