ten free SysAdmin tools - Security

This is a discussion on ten free SysAdmin tools - Security ; Ten free, and perhaps useful SysAdmin tools are humbly offered to all Linux, Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris x86 aficionados at 65.12.128.98... in the hope they may be a help, or at least mildly amusing....

  1. ten free SysAdmin tools

    Ten free, and perhaps useful SysAdmin tools are humbly offered to all
    Linux, Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris x86 aficionados at 65.12.128.98...

    in the hope they may be a help, or at least mildly amusing.

  2. Re: ten free SysAdmin tools

    AB wrote:

    > Ten free, and perhaps useful SysAdmin tools are humbly offered to all
    > Linux, Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris x86 aficionados at 65.12.128.98...
    >
    > in the hope they may be a help, or at least mildly amusing.

    They may be good, but we don't know. I thought we did this already:

    Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 02:46:58 -0400

    AB wrote:

    > Ten free, and perhaps useful SysAdmin tools are humbly offered to all
    > Linux, Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris x86 aficionados at 65.12.128.98...
    >
    > in the hope they may be a help, or at least mildly amusing.
    >
    > No flash, no dazzle, no ads, no popups, just SysAdmin tools... for free.

    And what would be the purposes of the ten tools? I didn't nmap it, but
    presumably this would be by http:// ? And why wouldn't you post the
    address in a normal, human-readable domain name, to be resolved normally
    via DNS ?

    Of course, there will be no flash, no dazzle (?), no ads and no popups if
    I were to check this out with a wget retrieval. Hope you will forgive
    that I didn't bother to do that, as this seems very time consuming for a
    _risky_ and ill-defined purpose.

    $ host 65.12.128.98
    98.128.12.65.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
    adsl-065-012-128-098.sip.clt.bellsouth.net.

    Give more info.

  3. Re: ten free SysAdmin tools

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 04:17:55 -0400, responder wrote:

    > AB wrote:
    >
    >> Ten free, and perhaps useful SysAdmin tools are humbly offered to all
    >> Linux, Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris x86 aficionados at 65.12.128.98...
    >>
    >> in the hope they may be a help, or at least mildly amusing.

    > And what would be the purposes of the ten tools? I didn't nmap it, but
    > presumably this would be by http:// ?

    In most browsers, the "http://" part is just a clue to the browser
    software itself as to which protocol it should try first. It truly
    isn't
    necessary. Anyone experienced enough to understand the value in the
    tools
    on the site will understand this already.

    > And why wouldn't you post the
    > address in a normal, human-readable domain name, to be resolved normally
    > via DNS ?

    Don't have a DNS resolvable URL, don't need one, don't want one.
    Simply
    isn't necessary. Thanks... I'm trying to cut back.

    > Of course, there will be no flash, no dazzle (?), no ads and no popups
    > if I were to check this out with a wget retrieval.

    If wget floats your boat... be my guest... or not. Ought to work fine.
    Either way, I'm not going to blast anyone with ads or popups, or silly
    proprietary extensions to a perfectly good page description language.

    > Hope you will
    > forgive that I didn't bother to do that,

    No offense was taken, no forgiveness necessary.

    > as this seems very time
    > consuming for a _risky_

    Risk is what happens when you wake up every day.

    > and ill-defined purpose.

    Each of these tools is accessed through a web page that thoroughly
    explains the rational, purpose and intended usage of the tools.

    If you want to take a look... fine. If not... fine. I'm just trying
    get a bit of feedback from the good folks on the usenet, on some
    tools I've built over the years and find useful.

    No warranties or guarantees expressed or implied. If somehow, you
    managed
    to break your system with these tools... you get to keep all the
    pieces.

  4. Re: ten free SysAdmin tools

    "AB" wrote in message
    news:1162043973.406514.269890@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com

    > No warranties or guarantees expressed or implied. If somehow, you
    > managed to break your system with these tools... you get to keep all
    > the pieces.

    It was previously pointed out that the "tools" offered are statically-linked
    executables with unknown payload. Only a fool would run such "tools" when
    there is a wealth of open-source tools freely available.

+ Reply to Thread