Simple question about permissions - Security

This is a discussion on Simple question about permissions - Security ; Hello, I want to create a directory 'myDir' where the user will be able to freely create and erase files and directories, but could not modify the permissions of 'myDir' directory itself. What is more no other user in the ...

  1. Simple question about permissions

    Hello,

    I want to create a directory 'myDir' where the user will be able to
    freely create and erase files and directories, but could not modify the
    permissions of 'myDir' directory itself. What is more no other user in
    the system can access this directory and its contents. Hope you can
    help me,

    Regards, mark

  2. Re: Simple question about permissions

    "mark" (06-10-26 12:32:03):

    > I want to create a directory 'myDir' where the user will be able to
    > freely create and erase files and directories, but could not modify
    > the permissions of 'myDir' directory itself. What is more no other
    > user in the system can access this directory and its contents. Hope
    > you can help me,

    Yes, the owner-user should be you, but the owner-group should be a
    dedicated group, which only contains the user, who should have access to
    the directory. Others shouldn't be able to access the directory, so its
    permissions should be like 770.

    A much better approach is to use ACLs.

    Regards,
    E.S.