sftp (was Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2) - Security

This is a discussion on sftp (was Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2) - Security ; On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:41:47 -0700, Keith Keller wrote: >> If all your users need is command-line access, >> ssh, scp, and sftp will be plenty secure >> unless you're incredibly paranoid. Good afternoon, Keith. Me, paranoid? Which one ...

  1. sftp (was Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2)

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:41:47 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

    >> If all your users need is command-line access,
    >> ssh, scp, and sftp will be plenty secure
    >> unless you're incredibly paranoid.

    Good afternoon, Keith.

    Me, paranoid? Which one of my enemies told you that?? :-)

    I think that ssh and sftp are all we need (should not need scp). So, that
    raises another question... what sftp server should I be using? I am
    currently using vsftpd which is supposed to be Very Secure, but I can't
    find anything in the vsftpd or vsftpd.conf man pages, or on
    vsftpdrocks.org or vsftpd.beasts.org, that describes how to specifically
    set it up for sftp. Perhaps it does sftp by default, but I don't see any
    config options that would enable encrypted ftp and disable plaintext ftp.

    Wikipedia tells me that sftp is more than simply FTP over SSH, which leads
    me to question whether vsftpd even knows about it (the name stands for
    Very Secure File Transfer Protocol Daemon so I guess I more or less
    assumed it should...).

  2. Re: sftp (was Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2)

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:43:51 -0400, C. J. Clegg wrote:

    > what sftp server should I be using?

    Disregard the question ... I now see that sshd includes sftp, so all is
    working fine now ... thanks... :-)

+ Reply to Thread