Ports for NIS? - Security

This is a discussion on Ports for NIS? - Security ; I have a centos 4.4 box I would like to use as my NIS server. How to setup NIS such that ypserv, ypxfrd, and yppasswd will use fixed ports? I remember that one of the differences between linux and solaris ...

  1. Ports for NIS?

    I have a centos 4.4 box I would like to use as my NIS server. How to
    setup NIS such that ypserv, ypxfrd, and yppasswd will use fixed ports? I
    remember that one of the differences between linux and solaris was that
    in linux you could specify the ports for those services. Am I correct?

    Now, here is an even easier question: how to setup the firewall at the
    host to pass those ports? I have made it work but simpyl turning the
    firewall off but that is really really not what I am looking to do.
    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: Ports for NIS?

    Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > I have a centos 4.4 box I would like to use as my NIS server. How to
    > setup NIS such that ypserv, ypxfrd, and yppasswd will use fixed ports? I
    > remember that one of the differences between linux and solaris was that
    > in linux you could specify the ports for those services. Am I correct?
    >
    > Now, here is an even easier question: how to setup the firewall at the
    > host to pass those ports? I have made it work but simpyl turning the
    > firewall off but that is really really not what I am looking to do.

    Haven't tried it, but I believe the commands in question can all
    take --port

    With regards to iptables (not sure what "firewall" you are using)...
    I think you need something like:

    iptables -I INPUT -i -p udp --dport --sport \
    -j ACCEPT

    (not totally sure about having both dport and sport... not sure
    exactly how the connections are done for yp stuff.. replace
    and with the values for your yp port
    number and network interface)

+ Reply to Thread