opening a port - Security

This is a discussion on opening a port - Security ; Hi, How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it is closed, how do I open it? Thanks, - Dave...

  1. opening a port

    Hi,

    How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it
    is closed, how do I open it?

    Thanks, - Dave

  2. Re: opening a port

    laredotornado@zipmail.com (06-09-24 09:05:28):

    > How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it
    > is closed, how do I open it?

    You really should read some books about the basics of networking.
    However, you can check if it's in use with the following command:

    # netstat --inet --inet6 -anp | grep 443

    Regards,
    E.S.

  3. Re: opening a port

    Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
    > laredotornado@zipmail.com (06-09-24 09:05:28):
    >
    > > How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it
    > > is closed, how do I open it?

    > You really should read some books about the basics of networking.
    > However, you can check if it's in use with the following command:
    >
    > # netstat --inet --inet6 -anp | grep 443
    >

    > Regards,
    > E.S.

    lsof|grep 443 (less typing)

  4. Re: opening a port

    laredotornado@zipmail.com wrote:

    > How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it
    > is closed, how do I open it?

    Try telnet localhost 443. And you would need to run a program that listens
    on 443 to open it.

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  5. Re: opening a port

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:05:41 -0700 dsphunxion wrote:

    > lsof|grep 443 (less typing)

    lsof -i :443 (even lesser and cleaner)

    Alexander

    --
    Alexander Dalloz | Löhne, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
    Serendipity 09:18:32 up 7 days, 8:40, load average: 0.81, 0.54, 0.28

  6. Re: opening a port

    Baloo wrote:

    > laredotornado@zipmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If it is
    >> closed, how do I open it?

    > Try telnet localhost 443. And you would need to run a program that
    > listens on 443 to open it.

    If you do it on localhost it doesn't go through the external firewall.
    Should try grc.com or other external probing sites.

    Why one would want 443 open is another issue entirely. How the OP opens
    this port is explained in man iptables.

    Your sig is too many lines long.

  7. Re: opening a port

    Alexander Dalloz (06-09-25 09:19:27):

    > > lsof|grep 443 (less typing)

    > lsof -i :443 (even lesser and cleaner)

    Lesser typing, but more (useless) newsgroup posts, because lsof isn't
    installed by default on most distributions. So I rather provide a
    command, which is suitable for a broader range of systems, unless I'd
    like to answer posts like: "BUT THAT COMMAND DOESN'T WORKD!".

    Regards,
    E.S.

  8. Re: opening a port

    Baloo (06-09-24 11:20:08):

    > > How do I check on my Fedora core 5 system if port 443 is open? If
    > > it is closed, how do I open it?

    > Try telnet localhost 443. And you would need to run a program that
    > listens on 443 to open it.

    Bad method, since many services aren't bound to localhost at all, so 443
    might be open to the Internet, but not to the local machine. Your
    method wouldn't notice that. By the way, Telnet isn't designed for such
    tasks. Consider using netcat.

    Regards,
    E.S.

  9. Re: opening a port

    On 25.09.2006, Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
    > Alexander Dalloz (06-09-25 09:19:27):
    >
    >> > lsof|grep 443 (less typing)

    >> lsof -i :443 (even lesser and cleaner)

    > Lesser typing, but more (useless) newsgroup posts, because lsof isn't
    > installed by default on most distributions.

    So? lsof is handy enough to install it on every server and router I'm
    administering. And showing that it's useful certainly won't harm usenet.

    > So I rather provide a
    > command, which is suitable for a broader range of systems, unless I'd
    > like to answer posts like: "BUT THAT COMMAND DOESN'T WORKD!".

    "You don't have lsof? Then install it."

    --
    Niektórzy lubi± dozziego...
    Oczywi¶cie szanujemy ich.

  10. Re: opening a port

    "Stachu 'Dozzie' K." (06-09-25 18:48:48):

    > > > lsof -i :443 (even lesser and cleaner)

    > > Lesser typing, but more (useless) newsgroup posts, because lsof
    > > isn't installed by default on most distributions.

    > So? lsof is handy enough to install it on every server and router I'm
    > administering. And showing that it's useful certainly won't harm usenet.
    >
    > > So I rather provide a command, which is suitable for a broader range
    > > of systems, unless I'd like to answer posts like: "BUT THAT COMMAND
    > > DOESN'T WORKD!".

    > "You don't have lsof? Then install it."

    Well, yes. Lsof is handy, indeed. But in that case, I would provide
    that as a side-note. All in all, most useful tools are still
    third-party.

    Regards,
    E.S.

+ Reply to Thread