Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work) - Security

This is a discussion on Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work) - Security ; I installed Tor and Privoxy for anonymous web surfing but am having problems, could use some help. (I have only good intentions, tonight on NBC news they showed how the US Gov wants ISPs to keep two years data on ...

  1. Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    I installed Tor and Privoxy for anonymous web surfing but am having
    problems, could use some help. (I have only good intentions, tonight on
    NBC news they showed how the US Gov wants ISPs to keep two years data on
    citizens surfing activity, that just plain should bother everyone). Ok, I
    installed tor and privoxy by urpmi. Then I configured
    /etc/privoxy/conf
    and added the line (per the instructions at Tor website) to the top of
    that file,
    forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
    then restarted each service
    #service privoxy restart
    #service tor restart
    Then I went into Firefox and confired proxy so that http uses localhost
    and port 8118 but then when I try to go to any webpage I get an error page
    saying
    503 This is Privoxy 3.0.3 on localhost (127.0.0.1), port 8118, enabled
    Connect failed.

    Your request for http://yahoo.com/ could not be fulfilled, because the
    connection to yahoo.com (192.168.1.100) could not be established.

  2. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:12:19 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world:

    > I installed Tor and Privoxy for anonymous web surfing but am having
    > problems, could use some help. (I have only good intentions, tonight on
    > NBC news they showed how the US Gov wants ISPs to keep two years data on
    > citizens surfing activity, that just plain should bother everyone). Ok, I
    > installed tor and privoxy by urpmi. Then I configured
    > /etc/privoxy/conf
    > and added the line (per the instructions at Tor website) to the top of
    > that file,
    > forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
    > then restarted each service
    > #service privoxy restart
    > #service tor restart
    > Then I went into Firefox and confired proxy so that http uses localhost
    > and port 8118 but then when I try to go to any webpage I get an error page
    > saying
    > 503 This is Privoxy 3.0.3 on localhost (127.0.0.1), port 8118, enabled
    > Connect failed.
    > Your request for http://yahoo.com/ could not be fulfilled, because the
    > connection to yahoo.com (192.168.1.100) could not be established.

    I can get privoxy to work by commenting out
    forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
    in /etc/privoxy/conf so my problem must have to do with Tor, and/or the
    use routing of privoxy requests to tor. Do I have the line wrong perhaps
    for "forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 ." as it does seem odd to have that
    forward slash in there with a space on each side, but that is what seems
    to be indicated at "Step Two" at
    http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

  3. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:12:19 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world:

    Update: Tor and Privoxy are both working! whatismyip.com returns
    an ipaddress that is not mine, etc. As always, seems to have been a
    router firewall issue. I made sure my router did port forwarding of
    8118-8118 forwarded to 127.0.0.1
    9050-9050 forwarded to 127.0.0.1
    I also made sure the first time running privoxy to do
    #cd /etc/privoxy
    #privoxy conf
    since the conf file says to add the conf filename as an argument the first
    time it is used and anytime the conf file is edited. Then of course I
    restarted privoxy and tor just be certain all changes took place
    #service tor restart
    #service privoxy restart

    Now the question is how to I automatically have tor and privoxy start
    during each boot, or will that happen automatically now that they are
    installed?

  4. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:59:26 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world:
    > Now the question is how to I automatically have tor and privoxy start
    > during each boot, or will that happen automatically now that they are
    > installed?

    tor and privoxy work after a reboot!

  5. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:43:03 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world:

    Got both tor and privoxy working great, was a firewall issue in my router.

  6. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    Beowulf wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:59:26 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world: ..
    >> Now the question is how to I automatically have tor and privoxy start
    >> during each boot, or will that happen automatically now that they are
    >> installed?

    > tor and privoxy work after a reboot!

    You may want to get the "Switch Proxy Tool" Extension for your Firefox.
    Also be sure to update to Firefox 1.5.0.4, just released Thursday evening,
    -Critical.

    If you have the resources available (bandwidth, etc.) please consider
    running a Tor server.

  7. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    responder wrote:
    > Beowulf wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:59:26 -0500, Beowulf inscribed to the world: ..
    >>> Now the question is how to I automatically have tor and privoxy start
    >>> during each boot, or will that happen automatically now that they are
    >>> installed?

    >> tor and privoxy work after a reboot!

    > You may want to get the "Switch Proxy Tool" Extension for your Firefox.
    > Also be sure to update to Firefox 1.5.0.4, just released Thursday evening,
    > -Critical.
    >
    > If you have the resources available (bandwidth, etc.) please consider
    > running a Tor server.

    I can second that because for general web browsing, at least on my
    system, privoxy+tor is rrreeeaaalllyyyy sssssllloooowwww.

    With the switch proxy tool you can swap proxies in and out like that
    .

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    If it heals good, say it.

  8. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 00:13:59 -0600, Mark Adams inscribed to the world:
    > I can second that because for general web browsing, at least on my
    > system, privoxy+tor is rrreeeaaalllyyyy sssssllloooowwww.
    >
    > With the switch proxy tool you can swap proxies in and out like that
    > .

    Yeah I am noticing the slower browsing, so I don't know I might only use
    tor occassionally, not sure about using it now. And when I click my
    shortcut bookmark for google.com I often end up at the german google site
    which is annoying but usable.

  9. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:26:21 -0400, responder inscribed to the world:
    > And even beyond that, this is a threat of blackmail and extortion by the
    > US executive for any internet user. Do we really think that "terrorists"
    > will leave clear-text e-mails for 2 years while getting ready for another
    > airliner hijacking? In the total view, this can only be used against
    > innocent and honest, non-criminal internet users.

    Yeah, I should think terrorists and such know not to do their
    communications from home PCs using plain text, etc. They would use
    cybercafes and laptops with wifi at hotspots, no trail. It is the average
    honest citizens who will get hosed by tracking their surfing activity--
    like such info used by divorce attorneys, etc.-- article on that in my
    local paper today, etc.

    > And no, I am not opposed to catching abusers of children. And no, I am
    > not opposed to catching terrorists. All this will do is elevate access
    > costs, without any benefit to or by the already expensive and demonstrably
    > incompetent FBI.
    >
    > Tor is actually broken by NSA MITM. ..

    Hmm, did not know that. Honestly, I have only good intentions using Tor,
    or Privoxy, I just in principle do not like the idea of my surfing tracked
    and recorded, not that I do anything nefarious. These days you can get
    into trouble surfing for info even with no bad intentions I suspect, but
    still the law will get you. I mean, suppose a person teaches microbiology--
    so she surfs to research germ warfare and microbial toxins and might have
    her ass haulted into the FBI dungeons to be held indefinately, where all
    she was doing was learning material to be sure to know the subject matter
    in teaching.

  10. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    Beowulf wrote:

    > And when I click my
    > shortcut bookmark for google.com I often end up at the german google site
    > which is annoying but usable.

    When you get to news.google.de, find your way to the link that
    specifically selects English as the language, and places that choice in
    the URL. Then bookmark that page and it will always come up in English.
    For example, one bookmark link that I use is:

    http://news.google.de/news?hl=en&ned...nG=Search+News

  11. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    Beowulf wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:26:21 -0400, responder inscribed to the world: ..
    >> And even beyond that, this is a threat of blackmail and extortion by
    >> the US executive for any internet user. Do we really think that
    >> "terrorists" will leave clear-text e-mails for 2 years while getting
    >> ready for another airliner hijacking? In the total view, this can only
    >> be used against innocent and honest, non-criminal internet users.

    > Yeah, I should think terrorists and such know not to do their
    > communications from home PCs using plain text, etc. They would use
    > cybercafes and laptops with wifi at hotspots, no trail. It is the
    > average honest citizens who will get hosed by tracking their surfing
    > activity-- like such info used by divorce attorneys, etc.-- article on
    > that in my local paper today, etc.
    >

    >> And no, I am not opposed to catching abusers of children. And no, I am
    >> not opposed to catching terrorists. All this will do is elevate access
    >> costs, without any benefit to or by the already expensive and
    >> demonstrably incompetent FBI.

    I should probably add that if FBI is incompetent, it is not because of any
    shortfall by the greatest number of fine, honest, dedicated, ethical and
    hardworking, long-serving FBI employees. Any shortfall is clearly in the
    politicized leadership, who may have personal agendas that are not
    accurately represented by their public statements.

    >> Tor is actually broken by NSA MITM. ..

    > Hmm, did not know that. Honestly, I have only good intentions using Tor,
    > or Privoxy, I just in principle do not like the idea of my surfing
    > tracked and recorded, not that I do anything nefarious. These days you
    > can get into trouble surfing for info even with no bad intentions I
    > suspect, but still the law will get you. I mean, suppose a person
    > teaches microbiology-- so she surfs to research germ warfare and
    > microbial toxins and might have her ass haulted into the FBI dungeons to
    > be held indefinately, where all she was doing was learning material to
    > be sure to know the subject matter in teaching.

    ]$ tor
    Jun 03 19:13:47.474 [notice] Tor v0.1.0.17. This is experimental software.
    Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.

    This should be strong and fair warning to anyone hoping to use Tor for
    illegal or nefarious purposes. Tor is designed and intended to protect
    privacy. It is _not_ designed or intended to shield illegal, antisocial
    or unethical purposes. If you are as I am interested in personal
    privacy, Tor is a valuable tool.

    Tor uses SSL (HTTPS) to establish a secure(?) link to a Tor server. Which
    Tor server it connects to is configurable. If not configured, Tor will
    find a default server. The Tor server will give a route for your traffic
    back to your node. Tor then encrypts the headers of packets sent so that
    your traffic travels through a series of Tor servers until it reaches a
    Tor "exit node", and then progresses normally to the destination. The
    encrypted packet headers prevent any individual Tor server from knowing
    the actual source (your address) or the final destination, except for the
    immediately preceding and following ("hop") destination. In this way, Tor
    prevents "casual" eavesdroppers from knowing where your traffic is going
    to or coming from. Tor prevents "traffic analysis".

    Any connection established through Tor can be separately and transparently
    encrypted for content. For example, you can establish a normal HTTPS
    secure connection to an on-line shopping or banking site via Tor, in
    exactly the same way as without.

    If you use tor-resolve and nscd, then there is no centralized record (as
    on an ISP's name server) of what sites your are visiting. tor-resolve
    uses a method analogous to Tor itself, in setting a SSL connection,
    (through a Tor server network) to a (somewhat random) DNS server, to
    resolve human-readable URL's into IP addresses. As with Tor itself, any
    record left on any (DNS) server you access, will resolve back only to the
    Tor exit node your connection is using, and cannot (normally) be traced
    back to your actual address. nscd caches DNS resolutions on your own
    local box, so that repeated requests to resolve the same base URL are
    resolved locally, and do not leave tracks on _any_ external DNS server.
    You need to set the retention time in nscd.conf to an extended time.

    SSL and HTTPS are the encryption method of choice for virtually all
    on-line commerce (shopping and banking, etc.). They rely on
    Diffie-Hellman negotiated keys. Ironically and in a strange twist of
    "fuzzy logic", it is exactly the fact, appearance or belief that Tor is
    broken in this specific way that is among the most compelling evidence
    that MITM is active. I continue to work to establish legally compelling
    evidence of the MITM.

    Diffie-Hellman key encryption is secure against all known attacks except
    MITM. If SSL (HTTPS) is broken, it is because of MITM. I believe SSL
    (Diffie-Hellman) is broken in the US.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie-Hellman

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MITM

    If Tor is broken in the way that I believe, it is still excellent
    protection against lesser eavesdroppers and spies. That would also imply
    that all on-line commerce is compromised.

    Yes, I agree, you are right: Any innocent individual communication could
    be misconstrued and taken out of context. Unfortunately I believe this is
    exactly why there has not been greater outcry from the centers of power.
    It needs to have a large base of opposition from ordinary [users] in order
    to garner attention and action. And it needs to have unified
    understanding and agreement among the technical and security communities
    in order to respond to administration denials, and to put the lie to the
    US President w's public assertions that this is a "limited" program, that
    they are not "listening" to people's conversations, and that only US
    to/from "foreign" locations are monitored.

    I believe that when the evidence is in, and if ever allowed to be publicly
    seen, it will show that this US Administration is not only "listening" to
    every communication, (phone, e-mail, FAX, web surfing...) but is also
    actually modifying communications in politically and/or personally
    motivated ways. And all with illegally installed equipment paid for by
    the US Taxpayers.

    Best wishes (really!).

    --
    colloquy_no_9 {at-sign} spam-mailingaddress.org
    eliminate the spam-

  12. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    Beowulf wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:26:21 -0400, responder inscribed to the world: ..
    >> And even beyond that, this is a threat of blackmail and extortion by the

    To my previous reply, I should have added the link to "fuzzy logic". Not
    sure this is adequate description, but it is at least a valid and
    annotated view.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

  13. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    responder wrote:

    > GWBUSH and his administration, acting as a "war president" in a war that
    > he failed to prevent, in a war, in several wars that he started under
    > false pretenses and under the color of law and under lies and deceptions,
    > has already bankrupted the US economy with repercussions that will take
    > decades to be fully seen. Any failed state is a security hazard.

    ? Maybe not:

    http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pdscott/iraq.html

    C.

  14. Re: Tor, Privoxy (need help making it work)

    Colin McKinnon wrote:

    > responder wrote:
    >

    >> GWBUSH and his administration, acting as a "war president" in a war
    >> that he failed to prevent, in a war, in several wars that he started
    >> under false pretenses and under the color of law and under lies and
    >> deceptions, has already bankrupted the US economy with repercussions
    >> that will take decades to be fully seen. Any failed state is a security
    >> hazard.
    >>

    > ? Maybe not:
    >
    > http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pdscott/iraq.html
    >
    > C.

    Thank you, C.

    I think it is topically significant to differentiate between the interests
    of the US economy and the interests of the Texas oilmen. gwbush (lower
    case intentional to represent a small man) is a Texas oil millionaire.
    There was a movie about this, somewhere, but I'm not a movie columnist,
    and the reference escapes me. Anyone who wants to jump in here is
    welcome.

    I think, US oil companies, Halliburton, and such could continue to profit
    even as the US economy goes completely down the sewer. And I think that
    is where the US economy is headed. And I think that any "failed state" is
    a security hazard.

    The link you posted is an excellent link to a narrative, and that is fully
    hyper-linked to references of historical importance. It fully narrates
    the case that US (_Government_) involvement (to use a sanitary term) is
    fully about oil. This is very sad for me to say as a US citizen.

    > http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pdscott/iraq.html

    It is all topical to the understanding of how and why the US NSA is now
    doing a MITM attack on all US residents. It is not either a proof or
    justification of that.

    And, please appreciate, it is extremely difficult for me to be articulate
    about these things, as they represent a direct attack to me personally, as
    well as others. So my descriptions will be sparse.

    http://www.consortiumnews.com/2006/060206a.html

    BUSH'S DEEP REASONS FOR WAR ON IRAQ: OIL, PETRODOLLARS, AND THE OPEC EURO
    QUESTION

    (Updated 5/27/03)
    This is a lengthly article with many supporting hyper-links.

    http://www.thememoryhole.org/policestate/iao-logo.htm

    "The disappeared logo"

    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...ng_statements/

    Examples of the president's signing statements

    April 30, 2006

    From The Boston Globe, an affiliate of The New York Times.

    Thanks. Thanks for writing. Thanks for the link. Please write again as
    you can.

    Best wishes.

    --
    colloquy_no_9 {at-sign} spam-mailingaddress.org
    eliminate the spam-
    ..

+ Reply to Thread