firewall question - Security

This is a discussion on firewall question - Security ; I have a Watchguarf Firebox that I want to replace with an open source appliance that I build myself. So far I have found things like devil linux, ipcop, and endian. Can someone tell me or reccoemend what they think ...

  1. firewall question

    I have a Watchguarf Firebox that I want to replace with an open source
    appliance that I build myself. So far I have found things like devil linux,
    ipcop, and endian. Can someone tell me or reccoemend what they think would
    be the best way to go about replacing the firebox with something.

  2. Re: firewall question

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:20:03 GMT, "Mostro" wrote:

    >I have a Watchguarf Firebox that I want to replace with an open source
    >appliance that I build myself. So far I have found things like devil linux,
    >ipcop, and endian. Can someone tell me or reccoemend what they think would
    >be the best way to go about replacing the firebox with something.

    Any modern distro comes with iptables, I use Slackware with 2.4.latest
    kernel and iptables for near two years without problems. It protects
    a localnet with several linux boxen and a couple windoze boxen.

    Although ADSL modems may be effective firewalls these days too.

    Grant.
    --
    Memory fault -- brain fried

  3. Re: firewall question

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:20:03 +0000, Mostro wrote:

    > I have a Watchguarf Firebox that I want to replace with an open source
    > appliance that I build myself. So far I have found things like devil linux,
    > ipcop, and endian. Can someone tell me or reccoemend what they think would
    > be the best way to go about replacing the firebox with something.

    I use Shorewall which uses iptables. iptables can be manually configured
    but shorewall creates the firewall rules with greater ease.

  4. Re: firewall question

    also, just running iptables with fwbuilder to create the scripts for
    you is nice. works really well.

  5. Re: firewall question

    Hi,

    I use Smoothwal Express 2. It works great. Easy to configure.
    http://smoothwall.org

+ Reply to Thread