Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire? - Security

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire? - Security ; I've been at it for about 4 hours now. I tried the latest and previous releases and it seems that it is almost impossible to install from source without severly hacking all of the config/install files and moving files around ...

  1. Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    I've been at it for about 4 hours now. I tried the latest and previous
    releases and it seems that it is almost impossible to install from
    source without severly hacking all of the config/install files and
    moving files around manually.

    I am installing on RedHat EL4. RPMs are non-existant. Online
    documentation is non-existent. Documentation in the source file is not
    only incomplete, but what is in there does not work.

    I have gotten the install script to basically install by hacking a
    bunch of stuff manually into the config/install files but it never gets
    around to actually installing the main service.

    Has anyone been able to do this?

  2. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    extremesanity wrote:

    > I am installing on RedHat EL4. RPMs are non-existant. Online
    > documentation is non-existent. Documentation in the source file is not
    > only incomplete, but what is in there does not work.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=tripwire+rpm

  3. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

  4. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    extremesanity wrote:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...en-US:official

    Better would be :

    http://www.silfreed.net/download/rep...freednet/RPMS/

    At the bottom of the page is tripwire-2.3.1-22-el4.rpm

    found it with google.

  5. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    Thank you. I checked all the major repositories and could not find
    one. I will try that.

  6. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    extremesanity wrote:
    > I've been at it for about 4 hours now.

    Suggestion: Try something else.

    http://la-samhna.de/samhain/
    http://www.prelude-ids.org/
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

  7. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:48:08 -0700, extremesanity wrote:

    > Thank you. I checked all the major repositories and could not find one.
    > I will try that.

    and hopefully post your results so others may benefit

  8. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    prodigal1 wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:48:08 -0700, extremesanity wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you. I checked all the major repositories and could not find one.
    >> I will try that.

    > and hopefully post your results so others may benefit

    I use AIDE and Tripwire. AIDE is a lot easier to use but it is not as
    secure (IMHO). So I Tripwire my AIDE database stuff. Tripwire can be
    pretty hard to get to work the way you would like it to. I installed it
    and ran it without any problems but it sure didn't do what I wanted it
    to do out of the box. It took me several weeks of tweaking and
    experimenting to get it to run somewhat the way I liked.

    AIDE on the other hand is quite easy to work with. It allows regular
    expressions and is pretty fast. As I said I use both Tripwire and AIDE.
    AIDE is my choice for things like my web site, and my shared development
    directories. I still use Tripwire for my system security -- and I am
    still tweaking it from time to time.

    A secure AIDE or whatever would be nice as Tripwire is a pain in the ***.

  9. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    The rpm "mike\"@(none)" graciously found for me worked perfectly for
    RedHat EL4.

    Good luck to anyone that builds from source; documentation and
    community support for what would otherwise be a valuable piece of
    software is abysmal.

  10. Re: Has anyone ever been able to install TripWire?

    FYI, the documentation that came with this RPM was wrong. It says to
    install the RPM and then run the twinstall.sh script within
    /etc/tripwire/. The script is actually called
    "tripwire-setup-keyfiles" and is located in /usr/sbin/.

+ Reply to Thread