Running a web server on Linux Fedora Distribution - Security

This is a discussion on Running a web server on Linux Fedora Distribution - Security ; Hi, I am fairly new to Linux world and I am interested in hosting a webserver on my linux box. Can someone help me with that? Also, once I have the server up and running I would like to create ...

  1. Running a web server on Linux Fedora Distribution

    Hi,

    I am fairly new to Linux world and I am interested in hosting a
    webserver on my linux box. Can someone help me with that? Also, once I
    have the server up and running I would like to create accounts for
    guests to be able to view the shared pcitures and music.

    Cheers,
    Iceman

  2. Re: Running a web server on Linux Fedora Distribution

    Innovative.Iceman@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to Linux world and I am interested in hosting a
    > webserver on my linux box. Can someone help me with that? Also, once I
    > have the server up and running I would like to create accounts for
    > guests to be able to view the shared pcitures and music.

    You want to take a look at the Apache documentation -- maybe
    the documentation on Fedora, which deals with the specific
    way in which they install Apache.

    As for accounts and the like, it seems like you're looking at
    a content management system -- there are many available for
    free, that you can install on your server. I believe
    Serendipity is one of them, and quite good. It is based on
    PHP, and from what I understand, it works "out of the box" on
    a Fedora system.

    HTH,

    Carlos
    --

  3. Re: Running a web server on Linux Fedora Distribution

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:26:36 -0700, Innovative.Iceman wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to Linux world and I am interested in hosting a webserver
    > on my linux box. Can someone help me with that? Also, once I have the
    > server up and running I would like to create accounts for guests to be
    > able to view the shared pcitures and music.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Iceman

    Hello.

    I would like to post a comment on your choice of Linux distribution.
    RedHat has two Linux lines.
    The first one is "Enterprise Linux"; Obviously geared toward enterprises.
    But you have to pay for that.

    The other is Fedora Core. This is a "prototyping distribution"
    It is useful to RedHat to test and integrate their software.
    It's updated often, and often has a few bugs.

    Another option could be CentOS. It's an almost identical version of
    RedHat Enterprise Linux. And it's rock stable, updated, patched, and
    available free.

    CentOS is available at :

    http://www.centos.org/

    For all documentation regarding Apache, I simply recommand a search on
    www.google.com/linux

    Hope it help.

    Hope it help...

+ Reply to Thread