security theme for undergraduate final thesis - Security

This is a discussion on security theme for undergraduate final thesis - Security ; Hello to all, I will soon need to write my final thesis in undergraduate studies. And the general subject is security, with emphasis on Linux (my personal preference, ofcourse). The problem is, I don't know what to write about. There ...

  1. security theme for undergraduate final thesis

    Hello to all,

    I will soon need to write my final thesis in undergraduate studies. And the
    general subject is security, with emphasis on Linux (my personal
    preference, ofcourse).
    The problem is, I don't know what to write about. There are hundreds of
    subjects, and I have a broad knowledge about some of them (and a good will to
    study the other ones more thoroughly).

    There are some issues...
    - I don't have unlimited time to finish this, I have a part-time job at the
    same time, some exams left, soon to get married...
    - Thesis must have something practical. I.E. if I would talk about Netfilter,
    there must be an installation to demonstrate this and not a trivial one.
    - I'm a lousy programmer, so anything that needs to be coded (more complex
    than a one-liner or a shorter perl/shell script) will delay it.
    - there must be a reasonable amount of pages to support my work, something
    like 40 (not strict). There are interesting subjects out there, but they
    cannot be described in more than several pages which is not enough.

    The question is: Do you have any suggestions?

    Some of the subjects were something dealing with firewalls, honeypots, IDS
    (Snort), VPNs, IPsec, wireless security... well, you get the idea.

    --
    panic("I have no root and I want to scream");
    2.4.17 /usr/src/linux/fs/super.c

  2. Re: security theme for undergraduate final thesis

    "Ivan Capan" wrote in message

    > I will soon need to write my final thesis in undergraduate studies.
    > And the general subject is security, with emphasis on Linux (my
    > personal preference, ofcourse).
    > The problem is, I don't know what to write about.

    > The question is: Do you have any suggestions?

    One should always write about something of interest to ones self, otherwise
    don't bother.

  3. Re: security theme for undergraduate final thesis

    ynotssor wrote:
    > One should always write about something of interest to ones self, otherwise
    > don't bother.

    Well, my interests are various, some could be used commercially, most could
    not. Why not make a document about them, maybe it will be useful later.
    Most of other students have no clue what will they do when they graduate,
    so they mostly write about things they won't use anywhere, and it only serves
    "l'art pour l'art", or to learn how to program and such. It's even not
    useful for a C.V.

    Well, I had a thought to make a "bastion" server, throw in as much details
    as possible and document it, publish it on the web under CC licence (even
    translated to English). I'll soon need to install some server anyway, so

    For a seminar work (as an introduction to my thesis), I did a review and a
    comparison of grsecurity and SELinux (I wanted to learn about SEL), and it
    turned quite OK, but I want something new.

    --
    panic("I have no root and I want to scream");
    2.4.17 /usr/src/linux/fs/super.c

  4. Re: security theme for undergraduate final thesis

    Ivan Capan (06-04-05 01:30:51):

    > The question is: Do you have any suggestions?

    You need something real. So I guess, network security would be most
    appropriate. Maybe you get some inspiration from the thread about ARP
    filtering below. I'm currently writing a paper about the ARP, and it's
    going to be _at least_ 40 pages. It's easy to demonstrate, but still
    not very trivial.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread