serial port permissions changing - Security

This is a discussion on serial port permissions changing - Security ; I've got FC4 installed on my laptop here with a user "bagel." Bagel cannot access the serial port after a reboot. I su -, and chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0, then go back to bagel, and all is wonderful. Bagel can get ...

  1. serial port permissions changing

    I've got FC4 installed on my laptop here with a user "bagel." Bagel
    cannot access the serial port after a reboot.

    I su -, and chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0, then go back to bagel, and all is
    wonderful. Bagel can get to his serial port.

    Then I reboot, and the permissions I set are reset to crw-rw----, and
    my user "bagel" cannot access the serial port again.

    How do I make these permissions persist so "bagel" can get to his
    serial port without chmod'ding all the time? I thought it might be
    SELinux, so I disabled that.... This computer is not on any network,
    so I am not concerned about security.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. Re: serial port permissions changing

    Nevermind. Added "Bagel" to the same group as the serial port (I think
    I chown'd the ttyS0) and it works. Now I've seem to lost my root
    password.... pitiful.

+ Reply to Thread