What Would You Say to This? - Security

This is a discussion on What Would You Say to This? - Security ; root [-- path deleted --]# ls -l total 9 drwx------ 2 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 20:44 ./ drwxrwxrwx 3 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 22:41 ../ ?rwsrwSr-T 153 154 57798 3213869308 Sep 29 1935 DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg Check out the thumbnail! ...

  1. What Would You Say to This?

    root [-- path deleted --]# ls -l
    total 9
    drwx------ 2 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 20:44 ./
    drwxrwxrwx 3 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 22:41 ../
    ?rwsrwSr-T 153 154 57798 3213869308 Sep 29 1935
    DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg

    Check out the thumbnail! I am unable to do anything to this file. I
    have not yet tried dropping into single-user mode to wipe it. Any
    less-dramatic suggestions?

    Oh, also:
    root [-- path deleted --]# lsattr
    lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
    ../DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg

  2. Re: What Would You Say to This?

    On 23 Mar 2006 20:00:56 -0800, simon.swegles@gmail.com wrote:

    >root [-- path deleted --]# ls -l
    >total 9
    >drwx------ 2 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 20:44 ./
    >drwxrwxrwx 3 simon nobody 4096 Mar 23 22:41 ../
    >?rwsrwSr-T 153 154 57798 3213869308 Sep 29 1935
    >DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg

    Don't edit what the system is saying, if you expect an answer
    give the context, what is it you're trying to achieve?

    Grant.
    --
    WinXP: Access Start->Turn Off Computer, then while holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift,
    left click on Cancel. This terminates Windows Explorer...

  3. Re: What Would You Say to This?

    My apologies. What I am trying to achieve is to delete the file
    "DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg" from my system. It has permissions set
    "?rwsrwSr-T" which do not allow ROOT to make any changes to it. It is
    in a public web home. I am unsure how to proceed with removal of the
    file, and would like to know if the permissions, owner/group
    combination, or filesize (3.2gb) indicate something I should be more
    concerned about than I already am.

    The directory is /home/simon/www/files/images/temp/.

  4. Re: What Would You Say to This?

    On 23 Mar 2006 20:22:34 -0800, simon.swegles@gmail.com wrote:

    Please read:
    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    No context, me have no idea what you responding to, except that
    this happens to be a quieter period during the day.

    >My apologies. What I am trying to achieve is to delete the file
    >"DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg" from my system. It has permissions set
    >"?rwsrwSr-T" which do not allow ROOT to make any changes to it. It is
    >in a public web home.

    Okay, ignore the file, go hit its 'parent', the containing directory

    >in a public web home. I am unsure how to proceed with removal of the
    >file, and would like to know if the permissions, owner/group
    >combination, or filesize (3.2gb) indicate something I should be more
    >concerned about than I already am.
    >
    >The directory is /home/simon/www/files/images/temp/.

    give yourself ownership and write perms for images, rm -rf temp,
    then mkdir a new temp. Move other wanted file out of the way first.

    It seems like something (bad script, you using PHP?) overwrote
    directory entry, the space consumed may be sparse (reserved but
    unused).

    perhaps try:
    chown simon /home/simon/www/files/images
    chmod u+rwx /home/simon/www/files/images
    rm -rf /home/simon/www/files/images/temp
    ls -l /home/simon/www/files/images
    mkdir /home/simon/www/files/images/temp
    ls -l /home/simon/www/files/images/temp

    report any error messages verbatim.

    Grant.
    --
    WinXP: Access Start->Turn Off Computer, then while holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift,
    left click on Cancel. This terminates Windows Explorer...

  5. Re: What Would You Say to This?

    Grant wrote:

    > Okay, ignore the file, go hit its 'parent', the containing directory
    >
    > give yourself ownership and write perms for images, rm -rf temp,
    > then mkdir a new temp. Move other wanted file out of the way first.

    I was able to grant myself rwx permissions (already had them) for
    images/ and temp/.
    The snag is here:
    root [/home/simon/www/files/images]# rm -rf temp
    rm: cannot remove `temp/DSC01245_0.thumbnail.jpg': Operation not
    permitted

    > It seems like something (bad script, you using PHP?) overwrote
    > directory entry, the space consumed may be sparse (reserved but
    > unused).

    Yes, this occurred while I was working on a PHP image manipulation
    script.

  6. Re: What Would You Say to This?

    I bit the bullet, booted into single-user mode, and fsck'ed the beast.
    Sorry for the bother. I should just have done so in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread