pop3 through ssh tunneling - Security

This is a discussion on pop3 through ssh tunneling - Security ; Hi, I've been looking around the net about how to setup my e-mail client so it can grab my e-mail from my provider securely. My provider use pop3 and i just want to know how to encrypt the communication between ...

  1. pop3 through ssh tunneling

    Hi,
    I've been looking around the net about how to setup my e-mail client so it
    can grab my e-mail from my provider securely. My provider use pop3 and i
    just want to know how to encrypt the communication between my machine and
    the pop3 server. I've been trying to forwarding the pop3 port to localhost
    but it wouldnt works, it seems that the pop server doesnt have ssh server
    installed.

    Greets,

    Andre

  2. Re: pop3 through ssh tunneling

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:12:46 +0100, Andre Lauw wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've been looking around the net about how to setup my e-mail client so it
    > can grab my e-mail from my provider securely. My provider use pop3 and i
    > just want to know how to encrypt the communication between my machine and
    > the pop3 server. I've been trying to forwarding the pop3 port to localhost
    > but it wouldnt works, it seems that the pop server doesnt have ssh server
    > installed.

    Your provider has to be set up to do this also. i.e. the ISP must be
    running a SSH server.

  3. Re: pop3 through ssh tunneling

    Andre Lauw wrote in

    > Hi,
    > I've been looking around the net about how to setup my e-mail client so
    > it can grab my e-mail from my provider securely. My provider use pop3
    > and i just want to know how to encrypt the communication between my
    > machine and the pop3 server. I've been trying to forwarding the pop3
    > port to localhost but it wouldnt works, it seems that the pop server
    > doesnt have ssh server installed.

    Why would it? It may be that they already support pop3s. If your mail
    client supports that then try it. If it doesn't work then email your
    provider's tech support asking what options they have for secure mail
    transfer. Note that even if they do support pop3s, it doesn't mean that
    the mail was delivered to their server securely. I believe most modern
    smtp relays use opportunistic encryption i.e they try smtps first, if that
    doesn't work they fall back to smtp. So even if you are using pop3s
    between your client and your providers pop server, that is no guarantee of
    secure end to end transmission. To do that you would need to encrypt the
    content your email using PGP or similar and have the other parties you are
    sending/receiving email to/from do the same.

    Klazmon.

    > Greets,
    >
    > Andre

  4. Re: pop3 through ssh tunneling

    johnny wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:12:46 +0100, Andre Lauw wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I've been looking around the net about how to setup my e-mail client so
    >> it can grab my e-mail from my provider securely. My provider use pop3 and
    >> i just want to know how to encrypt the communication between my machine
    >> and the pop3 server. I've been trying to forwarding the pop3 port to
    >> localhost but it wouldnt works, it seems that the pop server doesnt have
    >> ssh server installed.
    >>

    > Your provider has to be set up to do this also. i.e. the ISP must be
    > running a SSH server.

    Ok thanks Im gonna ask my provider about the possibility.

+ Reply to Thread