need help to get VPN connection - Security

This is a discussion on need help to get VPN connection - Security ; hi friends i have IPCop 1.2.0 firewall server at my office. i want to access my office LAN through home or a remote PC. Do i need to install OpenVPN server at my office. Or IPCop 1.4.0 version would suffice. ...

  1. need help to get VPN connection

    hi friends
    i have IPCop 1.2.0 firewall server at my office. i want to access my
    office LAN through home or a remote PC. Do i need to install OpenVPN
    server at my office. Or IPCop 1.4.0 version would suffice.
    i have windows 2000 Professional at my home PC. will i be able to
    access office LAN by just making a new VPN client at home.
    do i need to install OpenVPN client at home?
    do i need to install IPCop at home?
    do i need to open port 1194 at my office firwall?
    if yes how can i do that?
    i am new at it
    any advise would be appriciated.

    regards
    sachin

  2. Re: need help to get VPN connection

    "sachin" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1138029567.347645.263930@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > hi friends
    > i have IPCop 1.2.0 firewall server at my office. i want to access my
    > office LAN through home or a remote PC. Do i need to install OpenVPN
    > server at my office. Or IPCop 1.4.0 version would suffice.

    yes, you need to install OpenVPN on your IPCop, you can find OpenVPN as an
    add-on for your IPCop distro.. on http://openvpn.net

    > i have windows 2000 Professional at my home PC. will i be able to
    > access office LAN by just making a new VPN client at home.

    no, you can't.. for an easy-to-use vpn you need to install a client on your
    win2k, called OpenVPNAdmin, simple to configure..

    > do i need to install OpenVPN client at home?

    yes

    > do i need to install IPCop at home?

    no, you don't

    > do i need to open port 1194 at my office firwall?

    you need to open a port, not necessary the 1194, the 1194 is the standard
    port on over Openvpn communicate with client to ecxhange the keys.. you are
    able to change if you want...

    > if yes how can i do that?

    depends on what OS you use on your office firewall..

    > i am new at it
    > any advise would be appriciated.

    you need also to generate certificates to copy on your client and to let
    server and client to estabilish a connection over the vpn..

    bye
    GP

    > regards
    > sachin