Buffer Overflow`s - Security

This is a discussion on Buffer Overflow`s - Security ; Hi, I remember a while ago on the 2.20 kernel release that there was a little patch that would stop the buffer overflows. Can anyone please tell me what this was called and or direct me to a place to ...

  1. Buffer Overflow`s

    Hi,

    I remember a while ago on the 2.20 kernel release that there was a little
    patch that would stop the buffer overflows. Can anyone please tell me what
    this was called and or direct me to a place to get it .

    --
    Regards,

    Flossie

  2. Re: Buffer Overflow`s

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:10:02 -0000, Flossie
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I remember a while ago on the 2.20 kernel release that there was a

    little
    > > patch that would stop the buffer overflows. Can anyone please tell me

    what
    > > this was called and or direct me to a place to get it .
    > >

    > Which buffer overflows? If you are still using a 2.2 kernel, 2.2.26
    > and a patch to 2.2.27-rc2 are available from www.kernel.org.
    >

    > --
    > All my friends and I are crazy. That's the only thing that keeps us sane.

    The kernel buffer overflows.

  3. Re: Buffer Overflow`s

    Flossie wrote:

    > The kernel buffer overflows.

    You _really_ need to learn to be a few orders of magnitude more
    specific.

    As you'll see when you review your data, the expression "2.20 kernel"
    makes no sense whatsoever, and it's quite impossible for anyone to tell
    you about "the buffer overflow" if you say nothing at all to help us
    identify what the heck you're talking about.

    Please try again.

  4. Re: Buffer Overflow`s

    "Rick Moen" wrote in message
    > Flossie wrote:
    >
    > > The kernel buffer overflows.

    > You _really_ need to learn to be a few orders of magnitude more
    > specific.
    >
    > As you'll see when you review your data, the expression "2.20 kernel"
    > makes no sense whatsoever, and it's quite impossible for anyone to tell
    > you about "the buffer overflow" if you say nothing at all to help us
    > identify what the heck you're talking about.
    >
    > Please try again.

    I`ll try and explain again. When i was using a 2.20 kernel there was a patch
    for the kernel that would stop buffer overflows, thus allowing the system to
    not be breached at the admin level (i think that is correct). That is as
    much as i can remember as what i am asking is about 2-4 years old or longer.
    I am sorry if i haven`t explained it well enough but my memory is not what
    it was a while back.

  5. Re: Buffer Overflows

    On 2006-01-22, Flossie wrote:

    > I remember a while ago on the 2.20 kernel release that there was a little
    > patch that would stop the buffer overflows. Can anyone please tell me what
    > this was called and or direct me to a place to get it .

    Are you perhaps thinking of "grsecurity" (http://www.grsecurity.net/)?

    Another project for buffer overruns in process stacks is "libsafe"
    (http://www.research.avayalabs.com/project/libsafe/).

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Buffer Overflow`s

    Flossie wrote:

    > I`ll try and explain again. When i was using a 2.20 kernel there was a patch
    > for the kernel that would stop buffer overflows, thus allowing the system to
    > not be breached at the admin level (i think that is correct). That is as
    > much as i can remember as what i am asking is about 2-4 years old or longer.
    > I am sorry if i haven`t explained it well enough but my memory is not what
    > it was a while back.

    I appreciate your making the effort of trying to explain. Part of the
    problem is that there never was, and never will be, a 2.20 kernel. You
    might have meant:

    2.0.20
    2.1.20
    2.2.20
    2.3.20
    2.4.20
    2.5.20

    There is not yet a 2.6.20, but there probably will be, eventually. See:
    http://www.kernel.org/

    I think it fair to surmise that buffer overflows discovered in Linux
    kernels have always been fixed pretty much instantly, however, as you'll
    see if you google for:

    "buffer overflow" "linux kernel"

    ....including the quotation marks.

+ Reply to Thread