Yahoo beacons? - Security

This is a discussion on Yahoo beacons? - Security ; I have been reminded about yahoo beacons. They seem to be browser based, an dsomething like, or use din conjunction with, cookies, which yahoo requires for log on (I think). Is a linux os in any better position re privacy ...

  1. Yahoo beacons?

    I have been reminded about yahoo beacons. They seem to be browser
    based, an dsomething like, or use din conjunction with, cookies, which
    yahoo requires for log on (I think).

    Is a linux os in any better position re privacy with these in use?

    Any other brief comments about what they really are would be
    appreciated. There are a number of dramatic comments about loss of
    privacy etc in various places.
    tia
    --
    ac

  2. Re: Yahoo beacons?

    ac <"aec$news"@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
    > I have been reminded about yahoo beacons. They seem to be browser
    > based, an dsomething like, or use din conjunction with, cookies, which
    > yahoo requires for log on (I think).
    >
    > Is a linux os in any better position re privacy with these in use?
    >
    > Any other brief comments about what they really are would be
    > appreciated.

    OK. First, "Web beacons" is a corporate euphemism invented by the
    perpetrator (Yahoo, Inc.) to excuse itself, and there's no reason for us
    to cooperate. (Likewise, their PR people promote the notion of these
    1x1 GIF hyperlinks embedded into Yahoo Groups postings being called
    "super cookies", which is equally distortive.) The real name for them
    is "Web bugs". Don't let Yahoo or any other such firms get away with
    corporate doublespeak, please.

    Second, the appropriate remedy, on any OS, is to use a decent mail
    reader. Good mail readers, be they graphical or not, should not
    mindlessly fetch HTML hyperlinks in received e-mails automatically, for
    no better reason than their being present. Graphical MUAs (mail user
    agents) on Linux generally do the right thing.

    List of all known Linux MUAs: "MUAs" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/

    --
    Cheers, "He who hesitates is frost."
    Rick Moen -- Inuit proverb