BitTorrent security questions - Security

This is a discussion on BitTorrent security questions - Security ; I'm running a Linux desktop behind a NAT router with a broadband connection to the Internet. I've also installed an iptables based firewall (Firestarter) with a completely permissive outbound traffic policy and an inbound traffic policy of NO connections from ...

  1. BitTorrent security questions

    I'm running a Linux desktop behind a NAT router with a
    broadband connection to the Internet. I've also installed
    an iptables based firewall (Firestarter) with a completely
    permissive outbound traffic policy and an inbound traffic
    policy of NO connections from any host allowed and NO
    services on any port allowed for anyone.

    I frequently use BitTorrent (Azureus 2.3.0.6) to download
    files from the web. In order to support this I enabled
    port forwarding on the NAT router for ports 6882-6889 for
    service BitTorrent. With these settings BitTorrent seemed
    to be running all right.

    Recently, after I had installed an update for Azureus
    (v.2.3.0.6), I noticed a new colored button in the status
    bar which would be either yellow or red indicating a
    "Possible NAT (TCP) problem".

    In the course of investigating this, I also noticed an item
    "NAT/Firewall test" in the Azureus Tools menu which would
    test the "incoming TCP/UDP listen port" which I had set to
    6886. When I ran this test, it failed with the message
    "Testing port 6886 ... NAT error". The test dialog box
    also offered the following explanation: "In order to get
    the best out of Azureus, it's highly recommended to be
    fully accessible from the Internet. This tool lets you
    test and/or change the port used to accept incoming peer
    connections."

    I took this recommendation to mean that I should open my
    firewall for the ports used by bittorrent. Accordingly, I
    added the inbound traffic policy "Allow service BitTorrent
    for port 6881-6889 for everyone."

    With that the NAT status indicator button in the Azureus
    status bar turned green ("NAT OK (TCP)"). Also, some of
    the torrent health indicators for ongoing downloads turned
    green, meaning "everything is going fine" whereas before
    they had generally been yellow, meaning "you're connected
    to peers, tracker is OK but you may have a NAT problem if
    your torrents stay on yellow status all the time."

    After I'd made these changes everything seemed fine and
    subjectively it seemed as though Azureus was working better
    and down/uploading faster.

    Then I did a Shields Up (grc.com) port scan for the range of
    ports 6881-6889 while Azureus was running and downloads
    were proceeding. The result: 6881 stealthed, 6882-6885 and
    6887-6889 closed, 6886 OPEN. Ouch! I'd been running my
    system with this configuration for more than a week.

    I immediately removed the firewall rule "Allow service
    BitTorrent for port 6881-6889 for everyone" and did another
    Shields Up port scan. The result: 6881-6889 stealthed.
    BitTorrent down/uploads were still running fine.

    Next I also disabled port forwarding for ports 6882-6889 in
    the NAT router. BitTorrent down/uploads were still running
    fine.

    Several questions:

    1. When my system was configured with port forwarding
    enabled in the router and BitTorrent allowed for ports
    6881-6889 in the inbound traffic rules of my firewall, the
    Shields Up port scan diagnosed port 6886 as open whenever
    Azureus was running. Did that constitute a major security
    hazard that a malicious hacker could have exploited? Could
    he have installed malware via this "open" port, or was this
    port only open for the BitTorrent protocol? If malware had
    been installed would it have remained in my user area (I
    wasn't running Azureus as root) or could I have been
    rooted?

    2. What were the security implications when I was running
    Azureus with NAT router port forwarding enabled for
    6882-6889 but firewall closed to traffic coming in on
    6881-6889? Was there a possibility of a security
    compromise in that configuration?

    3. What is the point of aiming for green settings for the
    NAT status of the incoming TCP/UDP listen port 6886 and for
    "torrent health", settings which potentially introduce
    security hazards, when BitTorrent appears to be functional
    even when these settings are in the yellow or red range?

    Thanks in advance.

    Robert

  2. Re: BitTorrent security questions

    Ports are simply addresses that some software on your system listens for.
    They are like apartment numbers in an apartment building. Outside things
    can knock on the doors of the various appartment numbers. If noone answers
    that means the port is closed. If something answers it is open. But that
    something that answers will be some program. The security of the system
    depends on what program answers.If it is a buggy program, then an attack
    maybe possible. If it is not a buggy program then it will do only what it
    is designed to do. In your case it is bittorrent that answers the door. It
    is the security of bittorrent that you have to worry about. I do not know
    of any bittorrent exploits, but that of course does not mean much.
    A port is NOT an open door into your computer system. a port is simply an
    address, It is not as if an "open port" allows anything out there to use
    that port to do anything on your computer. It simply means that some
    program answers the knock.

    Robert Glueck writes:

> [...]

    >hazard that a malicious hacker could have exploited? Could
    >he have installed malware via this "open" port, or was this
    >port only open for the BitTorrent protocol? If malware had
    >been installed would it have remained in my user area (I
    >wasn't running Azureus as root) or could I have been
    >rooted?

    >2. What were the security implications when I was running
    >Azureus with NAT router port forwarding enabled for
    >6882-6889 but firewall closed to traffic coming in on
    >6881-6889? Was there a possibility of a security
    >compromise in that configuration?

    >3. What is the point of aiming for green settings for the
    >NAT status of the incoming TCP/UDP listen port 6886 and for
    >"torrent health", settings which potentially introduce
    >security hazards, when BitTorrent appears to be functional
    >even when these settings are in the yellow or red range?

  3. Re: BitTorrent security questions

    Robert Glueck wrote:
> [...]
    > Shields Up port scan. The result: 6881-6889 stealthed.
    > BitTorrent down/uploads were still running fine.
    >
    > Next I also disabled port forwarding for ports 6882-6889 in
    > the NAT router. BitTorrent down/uploads were still running
    > fine.
    >
    > Several questions:
    >
    > 1. When my system was configured with port forwarding
    > enabled in the router and BitTorrent allowed for ports
    > 6881-6889 in the inbound traffic rules of my firewall, the
    > Shields Up port scan diagnosed port 6886 as open whenever
    > Azureus was running. Did that constitute a major security
    > hazard that a malicious hacker could have exploited? Could
    > he have installed malware via this "open" port, or was this
    > port only open for the BitTorrent protocol? If malware had
    > been installed would it have remained in my user area (I
    > wasn't running Azureus as root) or could I have been

    Azureus only uses port 6881 TCP for data transmission and 6881 UDP for
    distributed hash table (dht or "trackerless" torrents) communication by
    default. Ports 6882-6889 of either protocol are used for miscellaneous
    plugins and additional non-essential services offered by azureus which
    can be safely disabled or firewalled off. This is only a minor security
    risk as the program azureus would have to be exploited remotely (or you
    would have to install a corrupted copy) for an attacker to gain anything
    in this way and any gain would be restricted to the user azureus is
    running as (i.e., you). You can safely open only port 6881 TCP and UDP
    for azureus' use.

    > 2. What were the security implications when I was running
    > Azureus with NAT router port forwarding enabled for
    > 6882-6889 but firewall closed to traffic coming in on
    > 6881-6889? Was there a possibility of a security
    > compromise in that configuration?

    See above, only with a firewall blocking connections to the unnecessary
    ports the risk is even further mitigated. Unless the program has been
    installed compromised or locally compromised and is making outgoing
    connections to malicious servers (in which case you are already in
    trouble) you are perfectly safe. Were I you, I would track down
    whichever portion of azureus is opening port 6886 and disable it if
    unnecessary thought.

    > 3. What is the point of aiming for green settings for the
    > NAT status of the incoming TCP/UDP listen port 6886 and for
    > "torrent health", settings which potentially introduce
    > security hazards, when BitTorrent appears to be functional
    > even when these settings are in the yellow or red range?

    The "green" status of the bit torrent network allows you to receive
    connections from hosts who would otherwise be unable to contact you. Bit
    torrent is fully functional in "yellow" status and has an unavailable
    tracker (for whatever reason) in "red" status. Green status is highly
    desirable because it can result in speed boosts of well over 200%. Case
    in point, my system tends to download around 15-20 KB/s while yellow and
    has been known to reach over 500 KB/s while green.

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Robert

    Hope this helps,
    Will

  4. Re: BitTorrent security questions

    "Will Ashford" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > >
    > > Next I also disabled port forwarding for ports 6882-6889 in
    > > the NAT router. BitTorrent down/uploads were still running
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > Several questions:
    > >
    > > 1. When my system was configured with port forwarding
    > > enabled in the router and BitTorrent allowed for ports
    > > 6881-6889 in the inbound traffic rules of my firewall, the
    > > Shields Up port scan diagnosed port 6886 as open whenever
    > > Azureus was running. Did that constitute a major security
    > > hazard that a malicious hacker could have exploited? Could
    > > he have installed malware via this "open" port, or was this
    > > port only open for the BitTorrent protocol? If malware had
    > > been installed would it have remained in my user area (I
    > > wasn't running Azureus as root) or could I have been
    > > rooted?

    > Azureus only uses port 6881 TCP for data transmission and 6881 UDP for

    I really don't agree with this. I'm only using port 55555 for Azureus, and
    don't
    have any problem with that ;-)

    > distributed hash table (dht or "trackerless" torrents) communication by
    > default. Ports 6882-6889 of either protocol are used for miscellaneous
    > plugins and additional non-essential services offered by azureus which
    > can be safely disabled or firewalled off. This is only a minor security
    > risk as the program azureus would have to be exploited remotely (or you
    > would have to install a corrupted copy) for an attacker to gain anything
    > in this way and any gain would be restricted to the user azureus is
    > running as (i.e., you). You can safely open only port 6881 TCP and UDP
    > for azureus' use.
    >
    > > 2. What were the security implications when I was running
    > > Azureus with NAT router port forwarding enabled for
    > > 6882-6889 but firewall closed to traffic coming in on
    > > 6881-6889? Was there a possibility of a security
    > > compromise in that configuration?

    > See above, only with a firewall blocking connections to the unnecessary
    > ports the risk is even further mitigated. Unless the program has been
    > installed compromised or locally compromised and is making outgoing
    > connections to malicious servers (in which case you are already in
    > trouble) you are perfectly safe. Were I you, I would track down
    > whichever portion of azureus is opening port 6886 and disable it if
    > unnecessary thought.
    >
    > > 3. What is the point of aiming for green settings for the
    > > NAT status of the incoming TCP/UDP listen port 6886 and for
    > > "torrent health", settings which potentially introduce
    > > security hazards, when BitTorrent appears to be functional
    > > even when these settings are in the yellow or red range?

    > The "green" status of the bit torrent network allows you to receive
    > connections from hosts who would otherwise be unable to contact you. Bit
    > torrent is fully functional in "yellow" status and has an unavailable
    > tracker (for whatever reason) in "red" status. Green status is highly
    > desirable because it can result in speed boosts of well over 200%. Case
    > in point, my system tends to download around 15-20 KB/s while yellow and
    > has been known to reach over 500 KB/s while green.
    >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Robert
    > >

    > Hope this helps,
    > Will

  5. Re: BitTorrent security questions

    Kurt De Bree wrote:
> [...]

    >>fine.

    >>Several questions:

    >>1. When my system was configured with port forwarding
    >>enabled in the router and BitTorrent allowed for ports
    >>6881-6889 in the inbound traffic rules of my firewall, the
    >>Shields Up port scan diagnosed port 6886 as open whenever
    >>Azureus was running. Did that constitute a major security
    >>hazard that a malicious hacker could have exploited? Could
    >>he have installed malware via this "open" port, or was this
    >>port only open for the BitTorrent protocol? If malware had
    >>been installed would it have remained in my user area (I
    >>wasn't running Azureus as root) or could I have been
    >>rooted?

    > Azureus only uses port 6881 TCP for data transmission and 6881 UDP for
    >

    >> I really don't agree with this. I'm only using port 55555 for Azureus, and

    Oh, yes, you can change the port if you'd like (in fact it is highly
    recommended that you do because ISPs like to block port 6881). I was
    simply detailing the default behavior.

    Will

  6. Re: BitTorrent security questions

    >2. What were the security implications when I was running
    >Azureus with NAT router port forwarding enabled for
    >6882-6889 but firewall closed to traffic coming in on
    >6881-6889? Was there a possibility of a security
    >compromise in that configuration?

    yes, of corse.

    if i was a bad hack3r now i know that you have some ports forwarded and
    therefore open.

    your firewall has an hole.

    i could make an infected email or some kind of tricks for installing or
    use a pre-installed software that make me for example an admin of you
    pc.

    Instead if you close all, or stealth you can prevent all risks.

+ Reply to Thread