Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??) - Security

This is a discussion on Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??) - Security ; I do not yet use remote access to my home system (adsl router and lan using local fixed IPs on lan PCs, all suse linux). However, I would be grateful for comments about whether I can arrange remote access to ...

  1. Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??)

    I do not yet use remote access to my home system (adsl router and lan
    using local fixed IPs on lan PCs, all suse linux).
    However, I would be grateful for comments about whether I can arrange
    remote access to a chosen PC on the home lan via fairly normal
    internet techniques, given strong passwords or procedures, using an
    ISP without a fixed IP for my broadband connection.

    The reason is - a local provider has the advantage of its equipment in
    the UK BT local exchange, and can offer very low rates for domestic
    packages which would probably suit me. But I notice it is non-fixed IP.

    I collect mail via pop3 and do not intend to run any web or mail
    servers from the home machine/s.
    However, (and I am totally ignorant about this), it is just possible
    in the future that I would like to try setting up remote access to the
    home machine/s from - say- a relatives house.

    Is a fixed IP from the isp essential for this, or are there some
    options or possibilities?

    tia
    --
    ac

  2. Re: Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??)

    http://www.dyndns.org/

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??)

    * ac <"aec$news"@candt.demon.co.uk>:
    > I would be grateful for comments about whether I can arrange
    > remote access to a chosen PC on the home lan via fairly normal
    > internet techniques, given strong passwords or procedures,
    > using an ISP without a fixed IP for my broadband connection.
    >
    > The reason is - a local provider has the advantage of its
    > equipment in the UK BT local exchange, and can offer very low
    > rates for domestic packages which would probably suit me. But I
    > notice it is non-fixed IP.

    Smells like NTHell.

    > it is just possible in the future that I would like to try
    > setting up remote access to the home machine/s from - say- a
    > relatives house.
    >
    > Is a fixed IP from the isp essential for this, or are there
    > some options or possibilities?

    It is straightforward to work around it. Get an account at one
    of those dynamic dns places like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.com.
    If your router doesn't support ddns, you will need a client
    running on a machine at home to update it each time your ip
    address changes.

    Then forward ssh traffic from the router to a computer on your
    lan, and hop from that machine to the others as required.

    Feel free to use a non-standard port for ssh, deny root login,
    restrict login to specified users or from specified ip addresses
    / ranges, whatever you want really...

    --
    Andrew Preater

  4. Re: Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??)

+ Reply to Thread