Best websites for concise primers on security topics for desktop users - Security

This is a discussion on Best websites for concise primers on security topics for desktop users - Security ; I've been listening to some of the "Security Now" podcasts by Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. These are weekly half-hour programs on a wide array of topics pertaining to security for home desktop PC's running Windows and connected to the ...

  1. Best websites for concise primers on security topics for desktop users

    I've been listening to some of the "Security Now" podcasts
    by Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. These are weekly
    half-hour programs on a wide array of topics pertaining to
    security for home desktop PC's running Windows and
    connected to the Internet. Much of what Gibson and Laporte
    are talking about is generic to desktops connected to the
    Internet and applies to Linux boxes as well. I find these
    programs entertaining and informative but the format is
    somewhat idiosyncratic.

    I'd like to find a few websites that deal with similar
    material in a more systematic fashion and perhaps geared a
    bit more specifically toward Linux desktop users. What I'm
    looking for are fairly simple, short, clear and
    well-organized write-ups on security topics such as worms
    and trojans, honey pots, firewalls, NAT routers, personal
    password policy, spyware, DDoS attacks, WiFi security,
    VPN's, rootkits, bittorrent security, zombie armies,
    pharming and phishing, DNS poisoning, identity theft,
    exploiting remote vulnerabilities, cookies, etc. etc. They
    should be directed at the intelligent computer-savvy
    layperson at a level comparable perhaps to the level of
    Scientific American.

    What are your favorite websites for this sort of material?

    Robert

  2. Re: Best websites for concise primers on security topics for desktop users

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:01:39 -0500, Robert Glueck wrote:

    >I've been listening to some of the "Security Now" podcasts
    >by Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. These are weekly

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^--> grc.com? Clueless.
    >half-hour programs on a wide array of topics pertaining to

    what a waste of listening time

    >What are your favorite websites for this sort of material?

    netfilter.org

    Grant.

  3. Re: Best websites for concise primers on security topics for desktop users

    Grant wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:01:39 -0500, Robert Glueck wrote:
    >
    >>I've been listening to some of the "Security Now" podcasts
    >>by Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. These are weekly

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^--> grc.com? Clueless.

    Not clueless, but does seem to have a very distorted view of the world.

    I've found a lot of interesting stuff teeing off from the Sans website. It
    doesn't try to cover the latests sploits / malware - IMHO a good thing for
    someone learning their way around.

    C.

+ Reply to Thread